Chapter Thirty Seven

"I'm surprised Akashi never told you about me."

Sayuri narrowed her eyes at the boy, feeling the pit in her stomach grow bigger as he began his words.

"I thought he'd at least tell you about the fun he had humiliating me in front of the whole Teiko basketball team. All because I wasn't 'good enough' for his Generation of Miracles," he said in a mocking tone, causing her to widen her eyes at the revelation of new information.

"Y-You went to Teiko?" she asked. It all made sense; he was a transfer student from Tokyo, how could she have cancelled out that possibility?

He chuckled, "Yes I did, and we've met."

"No, that can't be right. If we did then I would've known you from the beginning." That was a lie and she knew it. She always had this lingering feeling that he was someone she knew, but she didn't want to admit that now when he clearly looked agitated.

"I loved basketball more than anything in the world back then. So much that I decided to join Teiko on my third year. I wanted to meet the Generation of Miracles... I thought I would improve if I played alongside them," he trailed on, fully grabbing her attention now.

"You have no idea how hard I trained to stand a chance against them; for them to acknowledge my efforts. But," he sneered, "I guess hard work doesn't pass with those monsters."

His voice leaked with animosity as he recalled his middle school days, "The happiness I felt when Akashi said he'd consider me for the first string; god, was that incredibly fulfilling."

She had a really bad feeling about what he was going to reveal next.

"Imagine how fucking happy I was when he told me to prove myself through a match with the Generation of Miracles. Holy shit! I was gonna play alongside them! My dreams were gonna come true!" he blustered, as his voice gradually increased in volume, causing her to flinch slightly.

"But do you know why he asked me to do that?" he said, his tone lower than before as he leaned closer to her face.

"Just so the fuckers can play a game during an official match by making sure I don't get to touch the ball."

Sayuri's eyes widened in shock and she wanted nothing more than to just run away. She knew that the Generation of Miracles had a falling out during their third year of middle school. She knew that this was also the time Akashi changed for the worst. But even then, she didn't know that it got to that extent.

She stopped watching their games after the end of their second year when Akashi repeatedly reminded her that it wasn't worth the hassle anymore. With each passing match, she noticed how dim the glint in his eyes became, and after countless arguments, she eventually decided never to ask him about the team anymore.

Maybe that was the reason she doesn't remember Kaito.

"W-What do you mean?" she stuttered.

"It was your dear emperor's idea. He used me for his team's entertainment. What I hoped would be the best basketball match of my life, turned out to be the absolute worst," he chuckled, "I mean, imagine this! I was in the court with them, playing my damn hardest when I realized, huh- why aren't they passing the ball to me?.. Why aren't they letting me touch the goddamn ball?!"

He was fully screaming by now, "And then it hit me, it was a game to them. I was a game for them. The monsters used me for entertianment during a game that we were supposed to win together!"

He was slowly creeping in on her, causing her to take cautious steps backwards in an attempt to maintain their distance.

"And now, you're complaining about me sabotaging his team?" he let out a menacing laugh as he threw his head back, "Just as I thought, you're as messed up as he is."