Chapter Thirty Two

"Hi!"

Sayuri jumped in her seat, almost choking on her strawberry milk as she looked at the smiling boy who suddenly appeared in front of her.

"Nakamura-kun, please don't scare me like that," she said sternly, rubbing her chest from the sudden heartburn.

Kaito laughed, taking a seat opposite her in the cafeteria table and handing her a yakisoba bun, "I got you some. It was super hard to get this okay?"

She was about to refuse but decided against it when she saw the long queue that he probably emerged from.

"Please don't get me any more food next time," she sighed. Kaito chuckled and unwrapped his own bun, "You're making a lot of requests today, Sayu-chan," he joked.

She silently cringed at his overly-friendly nickname for her but decided to push it away after she considered his outgoing personality.

He probably has similar nicknames for anyone.

"Where's your friend?" he asked, as he took a big bite of his sandwich.

"Oh, Rina-chan? She's a bit busy today with her club activities,"

"Ohhh," he muttered, mid-bite.

She looked down at her food and stared at the yakisoba bun, not eager to eat it after just finishing her bento. But because she didn't want to seem rude, she reluctantly unwrapped the sandwich and took a small bite.

"So I was meaning to ask; are you close with the basketball team, Sayu-chan?" the mauve-haired boy asked.

"Hmm, yeah kind of? I'm definitely closer to some than the rest," she explained. Kaito looked at her quizzically and she wondered why he was suddenly taking interest in her relationship with the boys.

"Why'd you ask?"

"Nothing, you just seemed very close with them the other day," he admitted.

She nodded her head and continued to chew on her bun. There was an awkward silence, the type that didn't feel comfortable and it forced Sayuri to think of other topics she could bring up.

"Oh right, congratulations on getting into the basketball team! You must be really good at it," she complimented.

He laughed, "Nahh, I'm aight," he said humbly, waving his hand in the air.

She smiled and looked back down at her barely-eaten yakisoba bun. She decided to take one last bite as she aimlessly scanned the cafeteria. She was about to shoot her attention back at the boy in front of her when she noticed fierce red-hair pop up in her peripheral vision.

She stood up abruptly, alerted by the familiarity. "Seijuro!" she called out, successfully catching the redhead's attention. She waved at him and watched as he made his way towards her with light steps.

However, the subtle smile on his lips gradually disappeared when his eyes darted to the mauve-haired boy sitting in front of her. She stared at him in confusion, unable to pinpoint the reason behind his sudden change in demeanour.

Kaito followed her line of vision and grinned widely at the boy.

"Oh? Captain!" he jeered, playfully sending Akashi a salute.

Sayuri watched as Akashi dismissed his over-enthusiastic greeting with his usual poker face, but pushed it away after realizing how much she actually missed him.

Basketball practice was definitely taking up most of his time nowadays, and she wouldn't let a chance to be with him like this pass by. Especially because he decided to leave her at Kotaro's mini party yesterday night.