Chapter Twenty

A few days have passed since breaking down in front of Akashi.

They never spoke about it since, but she knew that something had definitely changed between them.

He paid attention to her more, making sure to occasionally ask her how she's doing. Heck, he even lingered around her at school more often which amplified the rumours surrounding their engagement further.

Though, for some reason, she stopped caring about them, and gradually, the side remarks and distasteful stares were becoming more bearable.

Still, that didn't stop the weird feeling she'd get around the redhead. Perhaps it could just be because of his unusually sensitive treatment towards her, but it could also be something else.

Something was definitely brewing inside of her, and sooner or later, it'll become clear.

Amidst all that, she was thankful that she could keep herself busy with the school festival preparations, which was happening in a few days.

Her excitement was surely there. After all, some of her Teiko friends had agreed to visit, but also, that meant having to come across Midorima, and she wasn't sure if she was ready for that just yet.

After hearing about what he did, and after pouring her frustrations to Akashi, she noticed how she thought about Midorima lesser every day. And for a brief moment, she even regretted ever having romantic feelings for him.

Nonetheless, she was not looking forward to seeing him again, because she knew that if he apologized sincerely and assured her that he didn't mean what he said, she'd surely cave in.

* * *

The day of the festival came quicker than she expected. It was a pleasant day; not too warm, not too cold, and the students of Rakuzan were hustling and bustling for the event to begin.

Around the campus were colourful posters, DIY-ed decorative pieces, and carefully organized activities, all ready for the students of different campuses to enjoy.

As expected, the school festival was surely an event to look forward to every year.

She entered the school building and walked down the swamped hallways, making her way towards the council room to check in on everybody.

"Ohaiyou, minna," she greeted heartily.

They all smiled and returned the greeting, before resuming their tasks.

She helped them with the last-minute preparations, ticking boxes on the checklists and double-checking on any pending logistics.

"We have a problem!" shouted Fudo from across the room.

"Class 2-3 and Class 2-1 are having major clashes over the auditorium space, and they're demanding to be given another area in the campus. It was our fault for not looking into it properly, but we really need a solution now," he explained frantically, panic lacing his voice.

The rest of the students erupted in discussions while Sayuri thought hard about what could be done.

And then an idea struck her.

She scanned around the room for a certain red-haired boy, only to realize that he was nowhere to be found.

"Everyone! Do you guys know where Seijuro is?" she asked.

"He's doing rounds around campus to see if every class is set. Why?" Yuma, the student body treasurer said.

"He's the captain of the basketball club. We can ask him if we can use the gymnasium!" she explained, earning a few 'ahs' and 'ohs' from the members.