Chapter Twenty Two

Looking Akashi in the eye was dreadfully difficult after that.

They talked normally, even showing the boys of Seirin around the campus together. But nonetheless, there was still an underlying uneasiness floating between them.

They both knew it, for sure, but none of them addressed it in the fear of making the situation more awkward.

About a week passed by with the both of them acting like absolutely nothing happened. She wasn't sure if she was relieved or worried. Worried that they would pretend like this for the rest of their lives.

In the successive days after that 'fateful day', she did a lot of thinking. Probably more than she hoped for.

She'd spend nights staring up at her bedroom ceiling and mornings daydreaming at homeroom. She was so out of it that even the student council members noticed. How could they not when even just the mention of the redhead's name made her body go rigid?

Of course, she would brush the thought away and assure them it was all good, unbeknownst to the crimson and golden eyes observing her every move.

The same questions would run through her mind every day;

What does that kiss mean?

Was that simply out of worry? No way! Who even kisses their best friend?

On the other hand, her encounter with Midorima completely slipped off her mind at one point. Whether or not what he said was a lie, she couldn't be bothered. Her endearment for him disappeared that moment he belittled her feelings for him.

"Tadaima," she muttered after entering the lofty door of her mansion.

Aiko-san was the first one to greet her, informing her along the way towards her bedroom that her father wanted to see her.

She sighed in defeat. It's been a little over two weeks since she had a proper conversation with her parents.

Her mother would occasionally visit her in her study room, but their conversations would be short and straight to the point; none of their usual squabbles erupting.

When she pushed down the copper doorknob into her father's office, she was surprised to see him smiling at her. He stood up from his swindle chair and gestured her to join him in the seating area.

"Sayuri, dear, how are you?" he started.

"I-I'm okay," she said, scarcely.

Was she really?

Her father didn't poke any further. "I just wanted to let you know that we'll be having our first official dinner as future in-laws with the Akashi's tonight. I want you to be there, and I want you to be in your best behaviour," he asserted, giving her an ironic smile.

He sure knew how to contradict his words with his actions.

She nodded, knowing that she didn't have much of a choice anyway.

"You know how important this is for our family. And although I know you're not too happy with this arrangement, we'd never make you do something you'll regret in the future."

She kept her head low.

Maybe there was some truth to what he said. Not everyone in the world was fortunate enough to be born a Hamasaki. There were huge responsibilities and sacrifices you have to make to be able to live a life they lived in, and maybe Sayuri was simply far too young and naive to understand that.

Her parents had an arranged marriage, with her mom's family already in a close relationship with the Hamasaki's, much like her situation now. But even so, her parents never made her feel like she was a burden to them. They never made her feel unwanted, and if marrying her best friend was a price she had pay for her family, then so be it.