Chapter Fifteen

"Sayu-chan?"

"Hello? Earth to Hamasaki Sayuri?"

She snapped out of her thoughts to find a pair of big green eyes staring at her. Rina was waving her hand in front of her face to get her attention.

"Ah, gomen, gomen. What were you saying?" she asked, shaking away the cloudiness in her mind.

"You okay? You've been acting strange since you got here," she said, a concern look appearing on her face.

Sayuri forced a smile. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine. No big deal," she said casually.

She didn't think it was the right time to tell Rina just yet.

Last night felt like a blur, and she couldn't get a wink of sleep trying to figure out why she couldn't shake the thought of Akashi off of her mind.

Maybe it was because of the sudden news that bombarding her these past few days, but she couldn't pin point what was making her feel this way about him.

Physical affection was not something Akashi was fond of. He never hugged his friends, his parents, and certainly not her. At least not anymore.

She smiled at the memory of a clingy 5-year-old Akashi, practically super-gluing his face to her.

"I'm sorry I made you cry..."

Akashi's voice rang in her head like a traveling echo. He rarely apologizes, but when he does, she knew that he truly means it. Maybe she was just a sucker for her best friend, but she could feel the hatred and betrayal gradually dispersing.

She didn't know why exactly but somehow after he apologized to her, all the feeling of betrayal and hatred were gone.

She shook the thoughts away and shot her attention to Rina who took the last long sip from her strawberry milk.

"Uh, okay then. If you say so," Rina replied, still wearing the same worried expression on her face.

The bell rang signaling the end of recess and everyone at the cafeteria shuffled away to the their assigned classes.

She was zoned out for a couple of seconds, only observing as students walk out of the place one by one.

"Hellooo, are you coming?" Rina asked her, looking increasingly worried for the girl.

"Um, you can go ahead. I'll think I'll head to the council room to work on some reports," she said, while giving her a reassuring beam.

The worried expression didn't leave Rina's face but she knew better than to push Sayuri's buttons. She muttered a quick 'fine' before leaving Sayuri hesitantly.

Sayuri heaved a sigh before languidly heading to the student council room.

She knew that no one would be there in the middle of the day, and that's exactly what she needed right now. Absolute silence.

When she entered the room, the windows were slightly ajar, letting in some pleasant breeze inside. She noticed a runaway sakura petal escape into through the crack.

Her desk was placed directly in front of the window, which meant that she'd have her back facing away from it.

Should I switch it around to face outside? She thought.

Nahh, too much work.

She sat down behind her desk, placed her bag on the ground, and proceeded to rummage through the drawers for the reports.

As she took out a pile of papers from the drawer, she accidentally knocked the stapler off of the table, making it land on the other side.

With the pile still in her hand, she hurriedly stood up to pick up the stapler when her grip loosened on the pile of papers.