Chapter 5:

Sleeping wasn't an option again tonight. I couldn't stop thinking about Diablo. I think that he's planning something with Skyler... He might be mad at me, but for what? I didn't do anything to him for him to be mad at me for no reason. I couldn't fall asleep because I was reminiscing in all of the memories of it being just Diablo and I, but those days are over now. Anyway, the time slipped away and somewhere through the night, I fell asleep, because I woke up and the sun was rising. I woke up and my head felt like I was hit by a bus. I slugged to the bathroom to take some Tylenol for my head.

Then I slugged to the kitchen to make our normal egg hash for breakfast. As the potatoes were cooking I was writing down the list of things that we needed to get from the stores one of the items was a propane tank for the shelter that Jacob was building. Finally, Jacob and Samson woke up first and helped with the list, they started naming things that they needed.

"Hey, Briar could I borrow Samson for the day to help build his living space?" Jacob asked.

"Sure I guess," I said. "Hayden and I got today stuff anyway,"

They were the first to eat and leave. Shortly after everyone else woke up we heard wood crashing down on the ground outside and loud cursing most likely from Samson. After I was handing out the tasks I went to check on the boys who were building, to make sure they got along. Hayden went down in the hole and kissed Samson, and then walked to the truck and waited for me, I shortly followed. Then we left the store.

Dear Diary,

Today I was paired with Jacob on building our house which wasn't too bad. Coming up with small talk was almost impossible so we just kinda worked in silence. Except when I dropped boards and cursed.

"Can I tell you something and you have to promise not to tell Briar?" asked Jacob, finally breaking the silence.

"I promise." I said.

Then he said "I'll be back" and he left the shelter. I kinda just sat there for like ten minutes while he was grabbing something. Then Finally there was an orange extension cord that was thrown down the opening, honestly it was as dramatic as it was said. And Jacob hurrying down the ladder.

"I finished my radio that I was working on," he said "I got it set to the white house so we can know what is coming."

"Cool," I said, having that statement fly over my head, I knew that he was making a radio but the white house... it's still there.

"You looked confused?" He asked.

"I am," I said "The white house is still around?"

"Yes, and I have been writing down the key things that I have been hearing from the radio." He explained excitedly . "it's still a little fuzzy sounding because it's work and progress, but it works and it communicates as a radio does."

"What did you find out?" I asked like girls gossiping about boys.

"Well nothing... other than there might be a nuclear bomb," he said "they were just saying stuff about it and not say when yet."

"So are we going to listen to it or are you going to keep me posted." I said.

"Well what's in it for me?" he asked as if he was blackmailing me into something.