Chapter 18

EJ's POV:

I crouched low to the ground, waiting for the perfect moment to make my move.

Everything depended on this.

I waited patiently before I saw my opportunity.

I dived.

My scalpel cut through my prey easily.

I wasted no time in consuming all the organs.

I might have spread blood everywhere, but I was just grateful to have a meal. If I had waited any longer, I might have gone crazy and killed a human.

Ha.

I never thought that was a sentence I'd ever think.

The corpse of the animal I had just eaten lay in front of me, a cruel reminder of what I've lost.

I didn't enjoy feasting upon animals, seeing as humans tasted much much better, but I had no choice at the moment.

I couldn't wait for the day I could enjoy the sweet sweet taste of a kidney once again.

Mmm.

My mouth watered just thinking of it.

Unfortunately my thoughts were interrupted by a buzz in my pocket.

It was a text from (y/n).

"This better be important information. The sooner I find out who took my kills, I can kill them, and then kill the girl too. I'll have kidneys for days," I mumbled quietly.

Kidneys: I don't have a lot of time, but you need to know that some big stuff has happened. The detective I was working with was murdered and I had to move back home. I'll message you later with more details, please look for a text later.

I sighed.

It wasn't anything I didn't already know.

Me: What?? She was murdered? What happened? Did they get any evidence? The people behind the other murders probably did it.

I reread the message and decided to send another to make it look like I cared more.

Me: Are you okay?

As I waited for a reply, I decided to walk around for a while.

After about thirty minutes, I got a text, but it wasn't from (y/n), it was from a number I didn't recognize.

Unknown: hey, it's me. they took my phone and gave me a new one.

Me: Who's this? How did you get this number?

Unknown: Oh right, sorry. This is (y/n). My parents made me get rid of my old phone. Something about being afraid I would be tracked, I guess. They also didn't want me to transfer any of my data because they wanted me to "move on." Luckily, I managed to put your number in my new phone before anything happened.

Me: oh ok. I'll save your new number.

She had to get a new phone?

It seemed so stupid. I didn't really understand.

Just as I realized that getting a new phone meant she didn't see my other messages, I got a phone call.

It was her.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Ah, EJ, *crunch* sorry for not warning you before calling you *crack* It's kind of hard to type right now," she explained.

It sounded like she was walking outside somewhere.

Why was she out so late?

She's outside this late at night and talking to me on the phone? What if it distracts her and someone takes advantage of that and attacks her?