Chapter 3

Third Person POV:

The police station was buzzing with activity. Just as they had solved one murder, thinking they'd have at least a few weeks before the next, fate was against them and another murder occurred.

Not to mention that the police were absolutely baffled by the case.

This particular group of police officers had always been complimented at their ability to solve murders quickly, but in reality it was never that hard in the first place. The murderer usually just ends up giving themselves away. The truth was that these officers really weren't good at solving murder cases and it was starting to show.

"Alright so what do we know?"
"Guy was found in the woods by a jogger. He was split in half and this has been determined not to be of typical animal behavior."
"Okay so what do we know about this jogger?"
"The trail she found the body on is one she jogs often."
"Okay well theres our first suspect then!"
"Nope, cameras didn't show her on the trail at the estimated time of murder."
"Oh, but there's cameras then! Did they catch anything?"
"Negative."

The officers were becoming increasingly annoyed at the lack of evidence. Not only was there not evidence from cameras, but there also wasn't any actual evidence left on the body that could hint at who did it. There were no fingerprints, belongings left behind, or even someone who disliked the victim.

"What are we going to do?" One officer asked, voicing the question on everyone's minds.

The head officer in charge sighed and shook his head, disappointed at his teams lack of ideas.

"I think I'm going to call in a detective," he answered after a few moments.

The officers nodded their heads in relief. They were glad they wouldn't have to solve this difficult case on their own. Some were just glad that they wouldn't have to do any work now.

The next day, the detective arrived.

She wasn't their first choice, but she was the only one who could arrive on such short notice.

She was immediately baffled by the officers' lack of qualifications for their jobs.

"How did any of these guys manage to get hired? Are this city's standards just really that low?" She wondered.

She had asked for everyone to gather into the meeting room so they could have a discussion but she was very disappointed.

"Okay, well do you know anything else? What about the autopsy report? Didn't it say anything else? Did you guys even read it?" She asked. She felt like she was dealing with a bunch of children.

Meanwhile, (Y/N) was at home. After hours of procrastinating, she had finally brought herself to do the dishes. It really wasn't that hard, considering the dishwasher did most of the work, but she was just lazy.

In fact, she had only decided to do the dishes because she had realized that there were no clean dishes at all and (Y/N) couldn't eat ice cream without a bowl or a spoon.

She had tried. And it wasn't a pleasant experience.

So, (Y/N) reluctantly put the dishes in the dishwasher and started it. Then she gave herself a pat of the back for her "hard" work.

While she waited for the dishwasher to finish, her mind wandered off to many places, ultimately bringing her back to the murder.

"I wonder if they've gotten any closer to solving the case," She thought, recalling what she knew about it. That was when she remembered an odd detail of the story.

"Why take just the kidneys? Actually, why take kidneys at all? Does this person plan to sell them on the black market? No... that can't be it, because then they probably would have taken more organs so they could make more money. What would someone do with kidneys if they weren't going to sell them? Why would you need kidneys? Oh, wait. Was it possible that the murderer stole the kidneys because theirs or someone's they knew were failing and couldn't find a donor?"

(Y/N)'s eyes widened at the thought. Had she just solved the murder?

But then she recalled the detail that several tiny incisions had been made all over the body. She didn't know why someone would do that if they just wanted to take someone else's kidneys. She sighed and hoped the case was solved soon because she really wanted some answers.

However, a tiny part of her was secretly proud of the killer for not being a complete idiot. Sure, she frowned upon them for leaving the body where it could easily be discovered, but she had to give them credit for not leaving any evidence behind. She only figured there wasn't any evidence because the news would have probably mentioned it and why else would the police be asking for information?

Back at the meeting room, things were not going very good.

"Some call and get that autopsy! I can't believe you fools lost it! How do you lose something like that? Who was in charge of it? Somebody better fess up before I get even more angry than I already am! You! You're the boss around here, who was in charge of the report?" The detective demanded to know, pointing a finger at the head officer.

The head officer swallowed audibly and fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat. He hesitated to reply.

"Uh...ah-um... okay maybe... uh... I'm sorry I d-don't know..." he finally admitted.

The detective slammed her hands on the table.

"How do you not know?! It's your JOB to know! Idiots... you're all idiots."

After a while the detective finally gave up on getting any useful information from the officers and decided to take matters into her own hands, which she now realizes she should've just done from the beginning.

It was getting late and even though she'd normally never sleep until a case was solved, the officers had really drained her of all of her energy and no amount of coffee could cure her.

So the detective went back to her hotel for the night and fell asleep, determined to wake up the next morning and solve the case.

•••••
1037 words

Thoughts? Comments?

Did you like the way this chapter was written?
I won't do this POV often, but I thought it'd be the best option in this case. Let me know what you think!

Until next time~

Unedited