Chapter 4

(Y/N)s POV:

It's been a few days since I last saw anything about the kidney stealer person on the news. I'm starting to wonder if the murder was just a one time thing. At the same time, I'm also wondering if the police have made any progress towards finding the killer.

It's weird to say, but a part of me almost doesn't want them to find the killer. I'm not saying that I never want them to find the killer, but at least not yet. It might seem a little twisted, but in a way, I've been kind of rooting for them. This killer is the first killer I've ever seen that hasn't been so easy to catch and I have to say, it really intrigues me.

I'm not totally insane though. I do want them to get caught for sure, because you can't just go around killing people and I definitely don't want to end up being murdered either.

It had been another pretty uneventful day for me so far. I woke up, fed the cats, made myself some crepes for breakfast (I was feeling a bit fancy, what can I say), and then I basically just lounged around the house for the rest of the day.

It was nearing 6pm when I decided to turn on the news and see if there was anything interesting being reported. To say I was unprepared would be an understatement.

"A string of murders has just taken place inside an apartment building near the heart of the city. Over 11 have been confirmed as dead and several more are injured or in critical condition. Residents at the scene claimed they were unable to hear any screaming due to the loud party that was occurring on one of the floors. Many say that any odd noises they did hear were just brushed off as noise from the party," the reporter began.

"Eleven dead? And there's even more who got hurt? How did no one find out what was going on in time? Did none of the victims try to call the cops?!" I thought aloud, baffled by the situation.

"Several people believed the murders to be executed by the person behind the latest murder, that police are still working to solve, however the police department has issued an official statement claiming that they don't believe this could have been a one person job. They are still looking into if the previous murderer might have any involvement in this crime," she continued.

I shook my head. I couldn't believe this. So many innocent lives had been lost and potentially more depending on how the victims in critical condition were doing.

And the police department! Did they even know anything?!

Suddenly, a horrible thought popped into my head: my aunt.

I lunged for my phone and dialed her number as fast as I could.

Pick up. Please pick up. Pick up. Pick up. Oh god. Please!

"The person you are trying to reach cannot come to the phone. Please leave a message after the-" I hung up.

No. No. No. No.

I called her again and again but with no answer. What now?

I held my head in my hands as I sat on the couch trying to think of what I should do.

"That's it!" I exclaimed, reaching for my phone again.

"I'll call the police department. Even if they don't know the names of the victims, I'm sure they can direct me to someone who would," I reasoned, dialing the number.

After several rings, someone picked up. I could barely hear them over all the background noise coming from their end.

"Hello? Is this the police department? I'm calling to find out if my aunt is okay. She lives in the city where the murders just occurred and she's not picking up her phone. I'm very worried," I began, speaking as fast as I could.

"Okay, okay, ma'am please calm down. Can you tell me the name of your aunt?" The person on the line asked.

"Yes, yes. It's (Aunts/Name)," I replied.

The person didn't respond for a few moments, but I assumed they must be searching for her name or something. Honestly all I could hear on the other line were the shouts of people in the background.

"Okay the police department hasn't yet received a list of the victims, but I can direct you to the hospital where the victims were sent. Do you have a pen and paper?" They asked.

I hurriedly grabbed a pen, but I didn't have time to look for paper, so I settled for writing on my arm.

"Yes, I do," I responded.

"Okay the hospitals number is xxx-xxx-xxxx, did you get that?" They questioned.

"Yes, yes, thank you so much, goodbye!" I rushed out, hanging up and preparing to dial the number on my arm.

I pressed call, feeling like my heart was about to beat out of my chest.

It continued to ring.

"We're sorry, this line is currently busy. Please try again or call again later," I heard.

No. No. No.

I called again and again until someone finally picked up.

"Hello this is the receptionist. Are you calling for an emergency?" She asked.

"Yes, I need to know if my aunt is at your hospital! She may have been a victim of the apartment crime that just happened," I explained, sitting on the edge of my seat and unable to keep still.

"I'm sorry ma'am but at this time we aren't releasing the names of any victims to anyone but family," she started.

"I am family!" I interjected.

"Yes ma'am, but we need to see ID before we release any information. It's a security measure and also the law. If you'd like, you can come into the hospital and show us a valid form of identification and then we can release any information we might have. Otherwise, I'm going to have to kindly ask you to hang up, because we have many other important calls we need to take. Thank you and have a good night," she finished, hanging up without another word.

"Wow okay what a bitch," I said, putting my phone down.

I quickly jumped off the couch and searched for my wallet, making sure my ID was in it. Then I raced into the kitchen and grabbed the spare set of car keys off of the hook. My aunt and uncle had left me the keys to one of their older cars in case I had an emergency and if this wasn't an emergency then I don't know what was.

I pulled up the GPS on my phone and entered the hospitals address before starting the navigation and starting the car. Then, I took off.

I probably broke several laws driving to the hospital but I needed to know if my aunt was okay.

•••••
1150 words

Thoughts? Comments?

Unedited