Chapter 14

I woke up to the sound of breaking glass.

At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but when I started hearing footsteps, I realized what was going on.

Shit.

When I had said that I wanted someone to break in, I didn't really mean it. Now, I had to figure out what to do.

As the intruder began opening and closing doors, I remembered that I had a knife in one of my drawers. I moved silently, pulling open the drawer carefully, and retrieving the knife.

It wasn't anything special, just a two or three inch pocket knife, about the size of my palm. It would have to do for now, though.

At this point, I remembered that my bedroom door was locked. With any luck, the intruder wouldn't try to open it and I'd be safe.

Luck wasn't on my side.

The intruder's footsteps drew near, and upon reaching my door, they twisted the handle. The intruder didn't give up though. My eyes widened in fear when I realized they were trying to pick the lock.

I was going to have to fight.

I quickly switched the knife to my non-dominant hand and picked up the heaviest object I could find in my other: a bowling pin. My reason for having a bowling was a long story, one I didn't have time to think back on.

As soon as the door clicked open and the intruder stepped inside, I swung the pin with all my strength. The intruder stumbled back and groaned in pain.
"Fuck!" A male voice exclaimed.

I wasted no time in lurching forward with the pin again. He stuck his hand out towards me and I used my knife to retaliate. He gasped in what sounded like a mixture of surprise and pain.

As he took a second to glance at his now bloody hand, I mustered up everything in me to swing at his head with the bowling pin. The bowling pin hit his skull with a sickening crack and the intruder crumpled to the floor.

I stood over him for a few minutes, my breathing ragged, but he didn't move.

I had knocked him out.

I scurried for my phone and hastily dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Hi, I'm at [address] and someone just broke in. I think I managed to knock him out for now but I'm not sure how long it'll be before he wakes up," I explained hurriedly.

"Alright, are you injured?" the operator asked.

"No, I'm okay, I managed to defend myself before he could do anything," I explained.

"Mkay, and what's your name?"

"My name is (Y/N) (L/N)."

"Okay (Y/N), there's already an officer on the way. I'll need you to stay on the line with me until he gets there, alright?"

"Alright."

Officers POV:

My partner, Joe,  and I got to the scene of the crime as fast as we could. From what we knew, it was just a break in and the suspect was incapacitated. I pulled out my flashlight and examined the front of the house. It was clear.

Joe and I walked up to the front door and knocked. "This is the police! Announce yourself and unlock the door!" I shouted.

A females voice quickly replied, "This is (Y/N), I'm the one who called, I'll open the door now!"

She opened the door and quickly stepped aside.

In front of us, a man was laying on the floor.

Joe quickly walked over and checked for a pulse while I turned to the girl and began questioning her.

"Can you explain to me what happened from the beginning?"

"I woke up to the sound of breaking glass and then someone searching through the rooms. When he got to my room I hit him with a bowling pin and followed him out here. He tried grabbing me but I managed to get him with the knife and then strike him with the pin again, which knocked him out," she explained.

I turned to Joe to see if the man's wounds matched her story.

"Yep, story checks out. We have head trauma and a wound on the right hand," he replied.

"Alright, (Y/N), you can go ahead and sit down," I told her.

"I've got an ID! James Finch. 37. Can you run that through the system?" Joe called out to me.

"On it," I responded, heading outside to use the computer in the squad car.

I typed the name into search and grinned at what I found.

"James Finch: wanted for several counts of break-in, sexual assault, and rape," I mumbled out.

I quickly made my way back inside and told Joe what I had found.

"The chief is going to be happy when we tell him about this one," Joe commented.

"Hopefully he's at the station when we get back, I haven't seen him all night," I replied.

"Must be busy on cases," Joe guessed.

We then got to work on putting James in the back of the police car and making sure he was secure.

Joe stayed outside with him while I went back in to talk to the girl.

"You got lucky ma'am. That guys been targeting females for months. Ain't no telling what could've happened had you not been so prepared. Anyway, someone should be out in a few days to fix the broken window. In the mean time, I suggest you tape a plastic sheet or something over it."

"Okay, I'll get right on that.... will someone stop by eventually to uh... clean up the blood?" She asked, pointing to the spot the intruder had been laying.

"We'll send someone out tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night at the latest. They'll get it cleaned right up for ya," I promised.

I glanced at her once again and realized she looked familiar, but I couldn't quite figure out where I had seen her.

"Have we met before? Or maybe passed by?" I questioned.

"Oh! You've probably seen me down at the station before. I've been helping with one of the cases," she explained.

"Ah that's right! With the detective they brought in! That's one interesting case they have you working on. A dangerous one at that. No evidence at all? Someone who tried to cover their tracks that hard will likely stop at nothing to make sure they aren't caught. Someone as young as yourself shouldn't be working on such a dangerous case. You could become a target," I warned her.

Before she could reply, I wished her a goodnight and told her to get lots of rest. Then, I exited the house and made my way back to the car.

I called the station and told them to prepare a holding cell for James. I also asked them to get someone for a clean up as soon as possible as well as find a glass installation company.

I hung up the phone and thought back to the girl.

(Y/N). That was her name.

Hopefully this break-in would scare her enough to get her to back off the case. If not, then I hope my warning was effective.

Everyone already knew the detective was a target, and I'd hate to see someone as young as (Y/N) become one too.

•••••
1218 words
Thoughts? Comments?
Unedited