Chapter 8

(s/c) - skin color
(h/c) - hair color
(h/l) hair length
(e/c) - eye color

EJ's POV:

I wanted to find the people who killed my victims as soon as possible. I wanted them to pay for causing me to lose several meals. I wanted revenge.

After talking with Slenderman and the others, I left and started walking towards the city. I said I wanted to do it alone, and doing it alone also meant I'd have to get to the scenes of the crimes alone.

Eventually, I came across a house.

I decided to cut through the backyard instead of going around because I figured it was too late for anyone to be awake. And anyway, I wanted to get to the city as soon as possible, and going around would add time.

However, just as I was halfway across the backyard, I heard a noise.

I heard someone moving inside the house and I immediately froze. It was dark enough that if I stayed still, I probably wouldn't be seen. Despite that, I still tended when I saw someone looking out of a window.

She had (h/l) (h/c) hair and (s/c) skin. Even though I had no eyes, I could still see fairly well, and that meant I was also able to see her (e/c) eyes that were wide in what I presumed to be fear.

I didn't get to examine her for long, before she disappeared from sight.

Had she seen me?

For a moment, I considered killing her. I didn't normally kill people who weren't already labeled as my victims, but if she had seen me, then it made sense to kill her. Plus, I could get an easy meal.

However, I shook those thoughts away and focused on the bigger picture. I had already lost time by standing there for so long and killing her would only cause me to lose even more time. Getting revenge on the people who killed my victims was more important to me than having a quick snack. Besides, there was no way she was actually able to make out my face and I wasn't even that hungry anyway.

So with that, I jogged off and continued on my path to the city.

By the time I got there, it was morning.

Even though I made up some time by jogging, I knew I needed to conserve my energy because I didn't know when my next meal would be. If I burned all my energy running to the city, I'd have less time to find the people before I started starving. So, I walked to the city most of the way.

Eventually, I arrived at my destination: the apartment building my victims had lived.

I slipped my mask off and pulled a surgical mask out of my pocket along with a pair of sunglasses. This would be my temporary disguise.

I walked into the main lobby as casually as possible and made my way down a random hallway.

Luck was on my side because eventually I spotted a janitor's closet. I turned the knob only to find out it was locked. Just as I was about to search for any clue as to where a key might be, I heard a voice.

"Hello?" came a male voice from the room right to me.

I froze.

"Oh hi Roger, I didn't recognize you at first. Yes I just started my break," he said.

I let out my breath as I realized he was on the phone.

"Well, you see, I've barely gotten any sleep this past week. They have me coming in every night and even sometimes for a few hours during the day. I was planning to spend my break catching up on some sleep," he explained to the person on the phone.

I glanced around, looking for any hints as to where the keys might be.

"I know the janitor shouldn't be sleeping on the job! There aren't any cameras in the break room though, so I won't be caught. Heck, there aren't even any cameras in the hallway outside the break room because they ran out of budgeting for them!" The man exclaimed.

So, he was the janitor.

That meant he would have the keys.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine as long as Judy doesn't come asking for the keys to the apartments. I had to borrow the key ring with all the apartment keys on it so I could help a lady who locked herself out," he continued talking.

I inched toward the door to the room he was in, making sure no one was in the hallway to see me.

"Huh? Can you say that again? Oh well if Judy does need the keys, can ya do me a favor and come grab them from me?" He asked the other on the phone.

I began to consider how I was going to get the keys.

"If I'm asleep, please don't wake me up. Both the apartment keys and my janitors keys are on the table right now. If you need to grab the keys, take the key ring with the gold keys. Those are the apartment keys," he told them.

He was almost doing all the work for me to be honest.

"Ah... I suppose you're right. I shouldn't just leave the keys laying around. How about I put them on top of the fridge? I'll put the ones you need in front so you don't have to try to figure it out," he suggested.

At this point, I heard footsteps down the hall, so I quickly retreated back into the nook where the janitors closet was.

I could hear the janitor stand up and set the keys down at the same time as a door down the hall opened and closed and the footsteps disappeared.

"Okay, I'm about to pass out now Roger, wake me up if there's an emergency," he said.

I heard what I guessed was the phone being set down down followed by some shuffling. After that, it was silent.

I didn't dare move until I knew he was asleep. It wasn't until I began to hear muffled snores that I finally moved toward the room.

I crept inside and was met with the sight of an older man sleeping with his face shoved into a jacket.

I quickly moved toward the fridge and felt for the keys. Once I felt the rough edges of several keys, I reached back farther for the ones I needed and grabbed onto them.

After that, I carefully lifted them up, moving almost painstakingly slow so as to not make any noise. Once I was sure that I had them, I slid them into the jacket of my hoodie and scurried out of the room.

Now I just had to figure out which key opened the janitors closet.

•••••
1149 words
The next chapter will be a continuation of EJs pov :)

Unedited