Chapter 28

(Y/N)'s POV:

"So, you think they're a satanic cult then?" I asked Jack, tilting my head back to look at him.

"I think so, but I almost wish you were wrong, (y/n)," he replied, wrapping both his arms around me.

"Why's that? I mean.. besides the obvious that satanic cults are way overdone, and it creates a bad image for the actual good people who follow the Church of Satan or the Satanic Temple whatever it's called," I responded, leaning into his touch.

"A cult is what made me into what I am, (y/n). I used to be human before those monsters took it all away from me," he answered darkly.

I gasped, completely taken aback by his revelation.

A cult did that to him? How old was he? How long ago?

I can't imagine how traumatic that must have been for him.

I turned to face him, no longer laying with my back against him but now instead resting chest to chest.

Our eyes met and I did the only thing I could think to do.

I wrapped my arms around him and held him as tight as I could, burying my face against his chest and trying to convey all of my feelings for him through that single gesture.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

He encircled me in his arms once again and gently ran his fingers through my hair.

"It's okay, (y/n), you did not do anything to apologize for."

"I know.. but that shouldn't have happened. You didn't deserve that, and I hope the people that hurt you got what they deserved times ten."

Jack chuckled softly and broke into an explanation of everything that had happened that night.

He told me about the cult, how they intended to sacrifice him to a demon named Chernabog, but they failed. I held him tighter as he recalled how the people he thought were his friends removed his eyes from their sockets and poured hot tar and blood into the empty holes.

Somewhere the cult had made a mistake though, because instead of summoning Chernabog, Jack became a half-demon.

He explained that something took over him, and that all he saw was red as he took the scalpel they used to remove his eyes and turned it against them, slashing their throats and removing their kidneys.

I cringed at the imagery.

"What made you choose to remove their kidneys?" I asked.

"I could tell that their ritual had changed me somehow. It was like I knew I wasn't human anymore. All my senses were so much stronger, but the strongest sense of them all was my sense of smell, and at that moment all I could smell was this sweet sort of scent, and I just followed it. I don't know why exactly, but whatever that cult turned me into led me into a diet almost exclusively made up of kidneys. And after enduring all that pain and literally morphing into an otherworldly creature, I was hungry. Starving. Animal instincts took over and I just dived for whatever that sweet smell was," he explained, licking his lips and smiling down at me.

I shivered at the hungry look on his face.

"Don't worry, (y/n), I won't eat your kidneys. I've learned to filter out the smell of them," he assured me, patting my head.

Instead of replying, I just hugged him tighter. He had been through so much and I hated the idea that someone else might have to experience the same pain as him.

I wanted the chief and his cult to suffer.

Even though Jack had gotten his justice from the cult that wronged him, I needed to get my own justice now.

"Jack?"

"Yes, (y/n)?"

"I want to kill the chief myself. I want him to feel the same pain that you felt. He might not be the one that did it to you, but I need to have my own sense of justice for you. If I could rip apart those people that hurt you, I would. I'll settle for that lowlife instead, though."

"If anyone ever tries to hurt you, I will slice them into pieces and serve them to you on a platter so that you may burn them into ashes."

"And what if I want to kill them myself?"

"Then I will hand you my scalpel and admire you as you tear them apart."

We sat in silence for a few moments after that, until suddenly he lifted me up and removed the both of us from the couch.

Then he carried me to my room as if it was nothing and set me down onto my bed.

I watched as he wordlessly left to turn off all the lights in the house, before returning to my room and turning that light off too.

Everything was shrouded in darkness except for the faint ray of light that sprinkled in from the window, either from the moon or perhaps an outdoor light, either of which I did not care about at the moment.

What I did care about was the figure looming closer to me, Jack.

He slid into bed next to me, and pulled the blankets up, covering both of our bodies in the soft fabric.

"Jack?" I whispered, barely loud enough to be audible.

"I am not going to be sleeping on the couch if that is what you are about to suggest. You cannot expect me to go a single night without sleeping next to you now that I have gotten a taste of it," he replied, smoothly pulling me against him and wrapping his arms around me for what was likely the millionth time that day.

"No.. actually I would be upset if you slept on the couch after everything that's happened. I had a question.. um.. how did you know which room was mine? I mean you probably just guessed but wouldn't it have been so awkward if you carried me into the office instead?" I questioned, pushing myself closer to him.

"I've been watching you. Not every night, but every night that I have been able to I have been making sure that no one harms you while you sleep. When you said that man broke in and attacked you, I almost lost it, (y/n). I didn't understand it for a while, but now I understand that I care about you deeply, and I will do everything in my power to ensure that no harm ever comes to you," he responded.

"Jack?"

"Yes, (y/n)?"

"That's kind of fucked up."

"I know, but so am I."

"I shouldn't be letting you sleep in my bed with me tonight."

"But, you will?"

"Yes. Just promise not to do anything creepy like that again."

"I promise."

"I feel like you're lying."

"That's because I am."

I attempted to smack him, but he simply grabbed my hand and held it in his, and then he pulled me even closer to him.

He rested his head on top of mine and his fingers traced unknown shapes on my arm.

I decided to yell at him later and welcomed the touch without a word as I slipped into a deep sleep.

Were we still just friends?

•••••
1213 words
Thoughts? Comments?
Unedited
https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Eyeless_Jack#
Here is the reference I used for Jacks background story as I'm sure many are unfamiliar with it (I know I was for the longest time). I've read some great stories about his background and I would encourage you all to do more research if you haven't already <3