Chapter 6

Everything had been chaos since I found out the news on my aunt.

After sobbing in the hospital room for what felt like hours, I couldn't stand to stay in the hospital so I ran out.

Once I made it to the car, I sent my uncle a text, barely able to see the screen through my tears. After that, it was all kind of a blur.

As the days passed, I never left my spot in front of the TV, waiting for any news on whether the murderer or murderers had been caught.

But there was nothing.

Every time I called the police department, they assured me that they were doing their best to locate those responsible.

I didn't believe them.

Finally the day came to bury my aunt.

It went by just as any normal funeral would, until a police officer showed up.

"I'd just like the express my sincerest condolences and if it provides any comfort at all, I'd like to let you all know that the police department is doing whatever we can to locate your loved ones killer," he said.

That was the final straw.

I stormed away from everyone and left.

It had become clear to me that just like every other murder, the police department weren't going to find the killer unless they messed up enough that it was easy to catch them.

And at this point, it seemed like they wouldn't be messing up any time soon.

Murder someone? Fine. Get away with it? Good for you. But once you murder someone I care about, you better expect that you won't be getting away with it.

Unknown POV:

"We can't let them get away with this!"

"And why not?"

"Because they'll just keep killing our victims. I don't care when one or two people we don't care about die, but when you go and kill that many people and five of them were ours to kill, we can't let them get away with that!"

"Yeah! And what about Jack?! This happened in the area he was hunting. He already had to be careful after they discovered the body of that one person-"

"You mean the body that he recklessly left behind?"

"I already told you all that I had to! If I didn't leave it there then I would've ended up getting caught. I didn't leave any evidence behind and that police department has absolutely no idea it was me. How could they?"

"EJ is right. They would've never figured out that it was him. He probably could've gone back to hunting anytime he wanted, but now he has to be even more careful because the city is on high alert looking for the people behind this. How is EJ going to eat?!"

"Why are you all so concerned for him? He can go at least a month without eating!"

"That's not the point guys! We need to track these guys down and have them pay for what they did. I agree with Jeff! They killed our victims!"

"Guys... I gotta be honest. Jane is right. EJ can go a long time without eating. I don't think we need to get involved in this. Let the humans figure it out for themselves."

"No! They'll never find the people!"

"Children be quiet! Jack, what do you wish for us to do?"

"In short? I want those guys dead. I do not want to go a whole month without kidneys. But, I want to do it myself."

"Okay. You heard him. Now please leave me alone."

(Y/N)s POV:

I found out that they had a detective helping at the police department... or maybe they had already mentioned it on the news, but I just didn't remember. Regardless, I figured that this detective was my best chance.

I drove to the police department and kindly asked to speak to the detective, claiming I had information. I figured they wouldn't let me see them any other way.

I was escorted to a small office and told to wait.

A few minutes later, a woman walked in.

"What do you know?" She asked seriously, sitting down across from me and staring at me intently.

"I know that the people behind those murders need to be caught and punished for their crimes. And I want in," I replied, equally as serious.

The detective looked at me blankly.

"Do you have any qualifications? Are you even old enough to be here?" She asked.

I glared.

"Do any of the police officers here have any qualifications? Look lady, I'm not saying these guys are shit, wait no, actually I am. The way I see it, it really can't get any worse if you let me in. If anyone asks, I'm in training or something. All I know if that I will work 10 times harder than any of these clowns because I happen to have a personal interest in this case," I explained, maintaining a serious expression.

The detective sighed and seemed to think it over for a bit.

"You know what? I couldn't care less at this point. I'm tired of these idiots who can't do anything right. And at this point, I really don't care if I'm breaking the law by letting a minor join the investigation. At least you might actually get some work done. So fine, whatever, I'll let you in. Just don't make me regret it," she answered.

I blinked at her for a few seconds before replying.

"Wait... you're actually going to let me join?"

"Don't make me have second thoughts," she said sternly.

"Alright, Alright!" I exclaimed quickly.

I didn't think she'd relent to me so fast. Working here must have really taken a toll on her for her to look past even the law.

"Tell me everything you know, and we can go from there," I said, leaning forward in my seat.

So, she did.

I stayed at the police station for hours. I was there for so long, in fact, that by the time the detective finally told me to go home, it was pitch black outside.

When I got back to my aunts house, it finally hit me just how tired I was. So, I decided to skip eating and head straight to bed.

I tried to sleep, key word: tried.

The second my head hit the pillow, I was wide awake, countless ideas and bits of information swarming in my brain. Finally, I gave up on trying to sleep and rolled out of bed.

My uncle wasn't at the house, actually he hadn't been at the house for a few days. He'd been too busy trying to deal with lawyers and family and stuff. So, it was just me and the cats.

I shuffled into the kitchen, eyes only half open, and grabbed a box of cereal. Then I retrieved the milk from the fridge and a bowl from the cupboard.

I poured my cereal into the bowl first, the only correct way to do it, and then my milk. After, I pulled out a spoon, put it into my cereal and picked up the bowl.

Just as I was about to turn around and head towards the living room to eat, something pushed me to glance out the window in front of me, so I did.

I immediately froze and my blood ran cold.

There was something out there.

•••••
1233 words

Thoughts? Comments?

Unedited

Important Authors Note: hey guys so I actually wrote a few updates in advance before I went back to school, because I knew I'd probably be too busy to write updates as often oof. This was actually the last of the chapters I wrote in advance. Because of school, I've been really busy, so I can't promise when I'll update next but please be patient with me uwu.