Chapter 32

(y/n)'s POV:

Darkness.

Emptiness.

A void.

A faint light in the distance?

A warm glow.

Like candlelight.

Then- voices.

"It didn't work? Why didn't it work? We did everything right. I followed the book exactly!"

"Sir, perhaps we need to allow it some time. Does the book not provide guidance as to the timing of the summons?"

"No. We shall wait then."

Silence.

Another voice, much closer, right next to me almost, so close it was like it was in my own mind.

"This one does not wish to die. No.. I can sense it. This one wishes to rise from the ashes- a phoenix of hell's creation. May I take it? May I take this body? I must merge its spirit with my own. It is badly broken, mortally wounded for certain, but perhaps there is a sliver of possibility I may seep through the cracks of death and pull it through to the light. I can sense its yearning... yearning for a piece of it that is missing. Something.. blue? No. Someone. Yes. Hold on to that, whoever it is. I shall reunite you. You. Mortal. Can you hear me? We are going to become one, you and I. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. We can discuss the terms and conditions at a later date."

———

Numbness.

The feeling of falling.

Falling fast.

Fast. Fast. Fast.

No.. no.. its all wrong... its something else.

Not falling.

No, not falling.

Rising. Thats it.

Im rising.

Am I going to heaven?

"There is no heaven for us," a voice responds.

A force. All of a sudden a force!

CRASHING THROUGH ME.

Its going right through me!!

My whole being, vibrating.

Merging.. Im merging with something.

We are becoming one.

Becoming one. Becoming one. Becoming one.

Pause.

We are one.

Then...?

I wake up.

———

I opened my eyes and gasped for air, batting my arms at the spaces surrounding me, fighting off invisible enemies.

Enemies?

Thats right.. we are in battle!

We? No.. just I.

I peered around manically, locking eyes with the men surrounding me, my whole body shaking and twitching.

"He is risen!! We did not fail my brethren!"

"Who is He?" I questioned, my voice scratchy and unfamiliar.

"He is you, is He not? Are you not the one we have tried to summon? Do you not appear in the body of the one we sacrificed to you so that you may grant our requests?"