*Episode 23 (4)

Despite the 'one-day' rule, Obi-Wan and Anakin had a habit of sharing before they were supposed to. There were some things that they understood about each other better than anyone else. Part of it was their Jedi background, part of it was how long they had known each other, and part of it was something more that neither of them could really explain.

While Anakin tackled the dishes, Obi-Wan sat at the bar counter and watched him. "I've certainly seen you in better condition."

"You're the third person to say that," he noted. "First Padmé, then Threepio, and now you. What's giving it away?"

"You have a scuff or two on your face." Pointing at his own face, Obi-Wan pointed out where he saw the injury. Anakin leaned forward and stared at his reflection in the window above the sink. Sure enough, he saw the same thing. "I take it that's what 'held you up?'"

Exhaling, Anakin scrubbed a plate. "Remember how we were told to never go to Malachor?"

"Yes. I assume that means you went there recently."

"The other day, actually," he clarified. "We just got back before I picked up Padmé. It's an old Sith temple surrounded by a petrified battlefield, all underground."

"Dare I ask why you decided to visit a taboo planet?"

"Ezra received a vision from Yoda."

Obi-Wan stared at him. "How does that qualify as a good reason? And since when is Yoda involved?"

Shrugging, he shook his head. "Last week, apparently. We were visiting a Jedi temple on Lothal, Ezra saw Yoda, and they got talking. Yoda told him he should go to Malachor but didn't explain why, of course." Sighing, Anakin scrubbed a dish aggressively. "I gave him the benefit of the doubt."

"Ezra or Yoda?"

"Yoda. I trust Ezra. It's not his fault Yoda's a bad influence. Or Maul, for that matter."

His face fell. "Maul... he was there?"

Anakin nodded. "At least I knew better than to trust him. Unfortunately, he's still very capable of weaseling his way into situations where he isn't welcome. He blinded Kanan, almost killed him."

Obi-Wan's gaze drifted off to the side as he ground his jaw. "I was hoping I'd never hear from him again."

He didn't need to explain. Maul had caused far too much grief in Obi-Wan's life. His return only created the possibility for more. Anakin recalled his interactions with the ex-Sith. "He hasn't changed much, from what you told me. He's very manipulative. Got a little too close to Ezra for my liking, actually."

"Is he alright?"

"He blames himself for what happened to Kanan," Anakin explained, shutting off the water and grabbing a rag to dry the dishes. "If I wasn't here, I'd want to keep an eye on him. He might need it for a couple of weeks."

"What about Maul's dueling?"

"Eh," Anakin shrugged, and he saw Obi-Wan smirk out of the corner of his eye. He smiled. "He's old; I don't think he's trained much in the past sixteen years. He's just as strong in the Force and just as good fighting, but not better."

Well, that was a relief. Maul was a threat, but at least he was no more dangerous than he had been previously. "What did he make of you?"

At the time, Anakin hadn't focused on it, but he guessed: "I think I was a little more than what he was expecting. Maul didn't anticipate that I would already have a second-hand history with him."

Nodding, Obi-Wan didn't respond and watched Anakin work for a minute. Anakin didn't mind, but he also watched his master. He was contemplating something.