Episode 1 (1)

In the capital dome of Lothal, Agent Kallus was pacing about Minister Tua's office. He wasn't excited to be there, but neither was she, and Kallus knew he was in a better position right now than her.

"Agent Kallus," she insisted, trying to hide her distress, "I've exhausted every resource to find information about the rebels, but there is nothing to be found! What more does Governor Tarkin expect?!?"

"He expects Lothal to be punished, Minister Tua," he repeated, quite tired of this conversation. Apparently, she hadn't understood this the first three times. "His own Star Destroyer was demolished by these rebels. He takes that somewhat personally."

She started listing off the new regulations, ticking them off on her fingers as she went. "Well, I've doubled patrols, set up checkpoints, established curfews. I honestly don't know what else to do."

"And that is the problem," a chilling voice suggested from the doorway. Tua looked up, not expecting to see visitors. More so, not expecting to see Darth Jadis. "You lack effort, Minister, when it comes to producing results."

Tua cowered as the Sith walked to her desk, her cloak trailing behind her. "Lady Jadis, with all due respect, you and Governor Tarkin are asking for miracles. If the rebels have left Lothal, then-"

"If the rebels have left, then we must draw them back," she finished, not wanting to hear another excuse. "And if they are here, we must draw them out. We will squeeze Lothal until someone reveals the whereabouts of these traitors."

To no one's surprise, she had another excuse for her. "I'm sorry, my Lady, I am merely a public official. I have no experience with such desperate tactics."

That was the wrong thing to say. Jadis had glanced over at Kallus, but at that protest, she snapped her head back in the minister's direction. Her glare was more than enough to shut her up, but Jadis wasn't about to let that comment slide. Even Kallus gave her a look. "Desperate?"

"Brutal," she quickly corrected, not making eye contact with her superior. "I have no experience with such brutal tactics."

"Don't try to pretend you meant that lightly," Jadis snarled, pulling back her cloak so the minister could see her lightsabers. "These 'tactics' are necessary to preventing the rebels from attacking the Empire further. If you feel that they are desperate, you can explain that to Governor Tarkin when you visit him."

Jadis let her words sink in, and turned to walk towards the exit. Behind her, Tua repeated, "Visit him?"

A nasty grin curled her lips, and she explained. "He expects you tomorrow, to account for your failure. I assure you, you will be plenty desperate then."

"But I...I'm needed here! I...I couldn't possibly get away!!"

Kallus followed Darth Jadis out of the office, and answered for the absent Sith. "Not to worry, Minister. Lady Jadis and I will manage in your absence."

He shut the door on her, pleased with his final word. He walked away, preparing to 'manage in her absence'. That was the reality of the Empire. If you could not meet the orders given to you, there was someone else in line who could. Of course, Kallus was a bit more valuable than that, and he didn't need to worry about being replaced. At least, that's what he told himself.

~

Aboard the Rebel cruiser, Commander Sato was debriefing with Phoenix squadron. "You and your crew have proven invaluable to our fleet, Captain Syndulla," he praised her. "The fuel acquired in your convoy attacks has helped us keep one step ahead of Imperial patrols."

"Thank you, Commander Sato," she replied, happy to be back in the thick of the Rebellion again instead of stranded out with no backup. "I'm just sorry our intel about shield generators being on that shipment was wrong."