Episode 1 (2)

"'You need to go warn them, Ezra'. What was I thinking?" he wondered, making a face now that the stormtroopers had left with his stuff. Well, most of his stuff. "And of course, the only thing I managed to hold onto was this worthless piece of.." he tried to open it to see exactly what it was he had pawned off of Kanan, but it wouldn't even open. Groaning, he threw it against the cell wall and sighed, giving up. He was stuck here and he wasn't getting out anytime soon.

Folding his hands in front of his face, Ezra closed his eyes and let himself think. At least he had some peace and quiet without anyone there to bother him. Maybe the Empire was watching on the security cameras, but that was all they could do: watch. The guards probably didn't care about him anyway, he was a kid. What was he going to do?

Bait...ha. He wasn't bait, you had to be wanted in order to be bait. Just when Hera had convinced him that maybe some people around here were actually decent, Zeb ditched him. You don't put your neck out for strangers. He should have left that crate where it was, he had enough food to last him a few days anyway. He shouldn't have gotten involved.

...so why did he? Ezra hadn't been interested in that crate until he had seen Kanan and the others go after it. He had nothing against stealing, but that was too much. Too much attention for not enough value. There was no reason to want the crate, but he had gone after it anyway. He had felt something, the same thing he had felt when he had held the lightsaber, and the same thing he was feeling right now.

"This is Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. I regret to report that our Jedi Order has fallen at the hand of the Republic, with the dark shadow of the Separatists rising to take its place."

Well that made sense. He had found that thing with the lightsaber, so both were probably related to the Jedi. 

Wait, that weird box was talking? Ezra looked up, and not only was the box talking but it had a hologram inside! He assumed it was a Jedi, all he saw was a man in brown robes. 

"This message is a warning and a reminder for any surviving Jedi," the man went on. "Trust in the Force. Do not return to the Temple. That time has passed, and our future is uncertain. We will each be challenged. Our trust...our faith...our friendships. But we must perservere, and in time, a new hope will emerge. May the Force be with you...always."

The box reassembled itself in the cell and came to rest on the ground, where it had been after Ezra threw it. Ezra himself didn't move except to follow the box as it did its thing and then turned off. For a few seconds, complete silence stole over the cell.

He thought Kanan just really liked Jedi and maybe he had the lightsaber as a relic or something, but if he had this...this message, this warning, too? Was there something nobody was saying? 

And what was the Force? It was probably some Jedi thing, but Ezra didn't have any clue what it was. All he did know was that Jedi were warriors with superpowers and laserswords, and all of them were supposed to be dead. Clone troopers had killed all of them when they revolted against the Republic, way back when the Empire didn't exist yet. 

Maybe Kanan knew a Jedi, or had known them before they died. There was no way anyone could hide from the Empire, especially not for so long. They would have found out by now that Kanan was a Jedi, especially if he and the others kept doing missions like this all the time.

Ezra was interested though, he really was. He didn't know how to find out more, but he did know that he wasn't going to figure it out from this cell. Unless he wanted to get dumped in some jail or detention center, he needed to escape.

~

"22 pickup? Care to let me in on the secret?"

"Kid, I'm about to let everyone in on the secret," Kanan admitted, stepping on top of the crates they were hiding behind. Technically, what he was talking about had nothing to do with the maneuver they were pulling, but it would help explain a few things.