ONE

I cursed as the rain started to pour down. It was still midday, but it was muggy and overall depressing. While I had my music as I walked back home, that was about it.

I was being evicted that day. I had everything in boxes, and I planned on staying at a hotel until I could find a new place. I tried not to be upset, and I certainly wasn't going to cry over it. It had happened plenty of times before. I was over it.

Yet, there I was, frustrated by the cold wet rain. I hadn't even thought to bring an umbrella.

With my music playing through both earbuds, I focused on my feet. It wasn't like I had anyone to talk to.

I wasn't the best at making friends. I had a big mouth, and I was kind of a jerk to everyone, but could you blame me? Life had spiraled down so deep into a pit that I didn't see a point in caring.

Speaking of not caring, I probably should have watched where I was walking. I bumped shoulders with someone and nearly fell over, and I threw a glare at who it was.

It was a guy around my age, with ginger hair and a trimmed beard. He was built, and he spoke but I didn't hear him.

I took out an earbud and pulled down the black hood of my sweatshirt. "What did you say?"

It came out a bit snobbish, but that's just who I was.

He raised his eyebrows when he saw my face. "Casey?"

I narrowed my eyes. "Do I know you?"

"It's me," He grinned, but I was still clueless. "Ethan? Ethan Payne? From school?"

I tilted my head. How could I forget my best friend? Even though he and I fell out, I remembered everything about Ethan, and this guy wasn't him.

"Ethan was tubby, and couldn't grow facial hair for his life."

He narrowed his eyes. "You seriously don't recognize me? I mean, I've changed, but I'm still—"

"Look, man, I'm getting a bit creeped out that you know who I am. If you don't leave me alone I'll call the police," I scoffed and started walking away, but he called after me.

"Oh yeah? I was the only one in school that called you Ace. I even called you Casedilla once, but you hated Mexican food so I stopped."

I froze and widened my eyes at that. I turned my head and smirked at the memory before walking back over to him. "Jesus, you've changed so much."

"And you haven't changed at all," He chuckled, and I could recognize that laugh from a mile out. "You've still got an attitude. How lost you must've been without me."

"Oh please," I rolled my eyes. "You have just as much an attitude as I do. That's why we got on so well."

"Had," He corrected. "I've changed for the better. I'm not a dick anymore."

I frowned. "Well I am."

He scratched his beard and swiftly changed the subject. "Where are you headed? Didn't you get your license before me? Why are you walking?"

"I needed some air," I shrugged, the lie spilling out of my teeth with ease. "And as great a reunion as this was, I have to get back to my flat."

"Let me give you a ride," He offered. "My car's just around the corner."

I would've declined, but the rain showed no signs of stopping anytime soon. So I shrugged again.

"Alright."