22 | The Missing Man

The next morning, I woke up to an empty house.

I remember rubbing my eyes and getting up from the couch, feeling pain all over my body because of the small space in which I had fallen asleep. I washed my face and had decided on forgiving Gloria, and that's when I noticed that Lucas, who usually woke up early, was nowhere to be seen.
Naturally, I went up to his room and when I knocked on the door, there was no response.

Once, twice, there was still no sound on the other side.

"Lucas?"

When there came no answer, I opened the door.

The bed was made, and the windows closed. It looked the same as ever, with the paintings of flowers still hung up, and the ancient old books in the corner.

There was no sign that Lucas was there. Like a ghost, he came, and like one he had disappeared.

I had called Rex quickly, wondering whether he knew someone named Lucas Whitmore. An odd question, I know. But I wanted to see if there was any part of my sanity left. I didn't want Lucas to be a manifestation of my subconscious, something only there because I made it to be. I didn't want him to be just in my head.

Rex replied that he knew about "the weird time traveler guy", and interrogated me on why I was asking him that. He must have thought I went crazy.

Now here I was, two hours later, standing in front of Hawkins, Rex, and some other cops. They were all shocked when I said Lucas was living with me and stated that was unsafe of me to even invite him.

"There's a murderer around." Hawkins said sternly, "I thought Lucas went his own way! Why didn't you tell me he was living in your home?"

"I didn't think it was any of your business." I protested. "Luke is very nice and he can't even hurt a fly. How can you even suggest that he'll hurt me?"

"You don't know who he'll hurt," Rex spoke up. "Because in case you don't know, Lucas Whitmore is a name that's not in our database. He doesn't exist."

"I know that but," I took a deep breath in. "What if he hit his head or something? What if he has false memory syndrome-"

"For Christ's sake," Hawkins rubbed his forehead, before fixing his glare on me. "This is a serious issue, Ms. Alberto. But it's also our responsibility to find Lucas, wherever he is. But just don't try to get yourself in trouble."

"I'll be fine." I rolled my eyes.

I obviously had a plan. I wanted to find Lucas myself even though I had no leads. I told the cops so it wouldn't bite me in the ass later. This way, everyone would be looking.

I had said at the beginning of the interrogation that I couldn't stay long because Gloria had her surgery today and I needed to go see her. I brought it up again and Rex sighed.

"We'll update you on the Whitmore situation," Hawkins said firmly. He might have tried to sound stern, but more so like he wanted to calm me. I smiled.

"Oh no," Rex muttered, looking over my shoulders. I turned my head in confusion and saw CJ walking towards me.

"Don't worry, I called her," I said hastily.

"Why?" his voice came out as a whine.

"Why not, the more people that's looking for Lucas, the better." I shrugged.

"No, I told you not to do anything on your own Charlotte," Hawkins said grumpily.

"That's why she has me." CJ was standing beside me by now. Her eyes held a determined flame. "You know I can take care of myself, right Mr. Hawkins?"