10 | Painting A Lie

"Everyone is a book of blood, whenever we are opened, we are red."
-Clive Barker
______________

"Who, who are you?" I asked, trying not to feel intimidated.

"I'm offended you don't know me." She scoffed, and to my surprise, walked back to her car. She opened the backdoor, and inside sat CJ with a very obvious scowl.

"For your information, I did not ask her to do this," she stated, getting out.

I looked from the woman to CJ and my mouth fell into the shape of a perfect 'O.'

"You are Arlene?" I asked, pointing between the two of them. "CJ's sister? The fashion diva or something?"

"Glad to see someone's been praising their sister." Arlene said, smirking.

"I didn't tell her anything." She muttered under her breath, and I rolled my eyes.

"What's going on?" I asked, looking at Arlene instead of CJ because I was still pissed off at her.

"Two things." Arlene took out a card from her side pocket and handed it over to me. It was beige colored with floral designs, an obvious wedding invitation.

"CJ is marrying the professor!?" I asked in alarm, and Arlene let out an amused laugh. CJ kept glaring at me.

"Don't be silly, she is just 21-"

"25," corrected CJ but Arlene waved her hands impatiently.

"Just open it!" She pressed, and I saw the words - Arlene Jaycobs and Park Winter in a fancy font.

"That makes more sense," I admitted, feeling relieved that I didn't have to plan a bachelorette party, which would have been very hard considering that the bride hates me. As of now at least.

"I'm here for inviting you and-" Arlene grabbed CJ's hand to bring her forwards, "To let you kids know that you are not in middle school anymore. Fight all you want but CJ can't sulk in my room, because it's where my fiancé lives too."

"Oh please, Park is hardly there." CJ answered grumpily. "And I never sulked."

"I am leaving with Park on a trip tomorrow," Arlene kept talking to me, ignoring CJ altogether. "And I can't have that if she decides to gatecrash the trip by not letting go of the car seat."

"That happened one time!" CJ exclaimed.

"Can you make up with her already?" Arlene asked, and I shrugged casually, watching CJ's reaction.

Arlene didn't wait for my response, instead she strutted back to the car, her hair flying behind her. She got in the driver's seat and slammed the door shut.

"Don't come into my house until you stop whining!" Arlene snapped from the window, and I almost laughed. The younger sister looked as helpless as a homeless puppy when Arlene drove away.

"Well..." She started in a resigned voice, her hands down her pockets.

Over the years I spent with her, she had never apologized to me after a fight. Which is why I was surprised when CJ looked at me hopefully.

"Aren't you going to apologize?" She asked, and I snorted. Of course, she will never give in.

"I don't need to," I replied, before walking back into the house.

"You were ghosting me!" As I figured, she followed me.

I hesitated before opening the door. I stood before her with my hands crossed, trying not to look suspicious.