30 | The End

I wasn't sad when dad died. I never had a reason to, he was already dead to me. I wasn't sad when Gloria lied to me either. Somewhere within me, I knew that Gloria was the kind of person who would lie to protect others. But now? Standing in front of Hawkins? I felt betrayed in a way I never had. 

"Go die in a ditch," I whispered, just loud enough for him to hear from across the room.

"What the fuck, Mr. Hawkins?" CJ looked as hurt like me, if not more.

I remembered how they bonded last day to a point Lucas called them father and daughter. And then it hit me. I looked over to Lucas who had a victorious smile on. The gun no longer pointed towards CJ, it was now aimed towards the man in front of us. It was his plan along. 

"I knew you'd come if your pretend daughter was in danger." He smirked, looking proud of himself. "You still haven't moved on from your dead daughter, and look where that got you."

"Did we - miss something?" CJ inquired, her hands folded. "Dead daughter?" 

"Luke?" I called, questioningly. 

"No, you are right." Hawkins shrugged carelessly. "CJ was never supposed to be here. But she is just another person by the end of the day. So, go ahead. Shoot her. Or me, if you have the guts."

"Luke?" I called again, feeling dumber by the second. 

His hands started twitching. Of course, he couldn't do it. 

"Just as pathetic as the day you came here with him." Hawkins smiled knowingly. 

"Him who?" CJ asked, unable to shut her mouth. 

"You killed him." Lucas waved the gun around aggressively. "You killed my brother!" 

"You both came snooping and I couldn't have that." He sighed. "Besides, my family couldn't have that."

"Okay, wait, you know about your brother?" I asked, my mouth open. "Why the hell did you act like you didn't?" 

"He was lying the whole night, he knows he's not from 1761, doesn't he?" On saying the last word, he turned to Lucas's way for an answer. 

"A morte digni glande gravius ​​facile induceret." 

"Bene ergo fecit fratri gaudeo esse celerem mortem." 

CJ and I looked at each other like someone started speaking a foreign language, which is exactly what happened. 

"You know Latin?" CJ was surprised. 

"Wait, that's Latin?" I pointed my finger towards Lucas and Hawkins. 

"You know Latin?" Lucas asked CJ, equally surprised. 

"I had to take it for five years, of course, I kn-" 

"That's enough." Hawkins ordered. "Why can't you kids ever. Shut. Up?" 

CJ was easily offended. "Okay, shoot him."

"I'm trying." Lucas gulped, looking at the target with guilt in his eyes. 

"What do you mean, you are trying?" I whispered, moving closer to him. "Shoot him, for Christ's sake."

Then it became too late. People started appearing in the room from both the door behind Hawkins and the door which was locked from the outside. They weren't wearing masks or carrying mysterious gems, which I wouldn't have been surprised by. After all, they were a cult. 

They looked more like a focus group instead. The oldest person I saw was a woman around her 50s, and the youngest I spotted was Ethan. All of them looked like the kind of people you'd find sitting beside you on the bus. The kind you wouldn't think twice about.