14 | Kayla's a Bitch

"Strange how we decorate pain."
- Margaret Atwood
______________________

The ride back home was, in many ways, uncomfortable.

I kept glancing sideways at Lucas who was unusually silent. We both were thinking the same thing but didn't dare say it out loud.

What if you aren't from 1761?

Sure, it's not much of a surprise for me but it was for Lucas. He must still be believing that he is from the past but I can't deny the look of doubt on his face now. We could sit together and try to find out ways in which he isn't crazy but it always ends the same way - him claiming to be Lucas freaking Whitmore. Questioning his identity was one line I did not want to cross anymore. I had enough with Dean. Apparently, so did Lucas.

"Do you sleep well?" his terrible attempt at breaking the growing silence was, I guess, terrible.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to sound curious. But after a long and confusing day, I sounded like I couldn't care less.

"Just because I do not talk much doesn't mean I do not observe." He said, looking out the window.

"So, basically you eavesdropped?" I snickered. I took his lack of response as a yes.

"I have nightmares sometimes," I admitted carefully, looking straight ahead at the never-ending stretch of vehicles.

"So I gathered." His voice was sympathetic and I wondered for a fleeting moment how hard it must be to always be this perfect gentleman. When is he finally going to crack?

"It's been nice these last few nights." I continued with a hopeful sigh. "Been busy so much that I didn't even notice the peaceful sleep I was getting."

"I hope it stays that way."

The road split into two and I took the one to my home, not minding Lucas's mild fascination with how I steered the wheels and the car moved the way I wanted. It was nice not to be called a witch for once.

When we reached our home, I was surprised to see some strangers walking out of my front lawn. I turned off the engine and got out of the car hastily, my mind running wild with anxious theories, all of them ending with blood.

"What's going on?" I asked Gloria who was standing in the garden, looking the strangers walk away.

"They are friends from work," she said with a shrug but I could see a twinkle of mischief in her eyes.

"What were they doing here?" I asked suspiciously and before she could reply, Lucas walked in on us talking.

"Hey, had a nice time with that crazy lady?" She asked him and he mumbled an inaudible yes. With sudden excitement, she gestured him to go inside.

"What's actually going on?" I asked again as Lucas went in feeling confused. Gloria beamed.

"Remember that piano we had in our basement when we first moved in?"

"No."

It wasn't a no of disagreement but one of disbelief. I had a fair guess of what she did. I just didn't know why.

"Yes!" She almost skipped in excitement and ushered me inside and like I thought, there it was. A piano in the middle of the living room, dusted and polished so it looked brand new.

"Your friends were here to help you bring up the piano?" I asked, laughing.

"Yes, I wanted it to be a surprise for Lucas." She said innocently.