06 | Very Merry Coverups

"Mid dark thoughts of the grey tomb stone"
-Edgar Allan Poe
_____________________

"So you are the assistant that everyone here hates?" I asked, frowning at his hand which was still in mine.

"You sound disappointed." Heath stated, still with that arrogant smirk in its place.

"How about you let her hand go?" Hawkins snapped, glaring at Heath. He sounded more frustrated then he did a second ago. "Unless you want to cut it off and keep it for yourself?"

"Found yourself a new father?" Heath asked, letting go off my hand but not looking towards Hawkins. "Bit too soon, isn't it?"

My mouth fell open in shock and I suddenly understood why Hawkins was glaring at him. I had thought it was because of his old resentments with Heath but then I got it. The way Hawkins was glaring at Heath was exactly how a father would glare at a rude boy his daughter brings home. The idea of someone being concerned like how a father would was foreign to me. My own father never thought of me and Gloria other than just a waste of space. Things got worse when mom passed on. That was one of the reasons we ran away from home.

A month ago we did go back to hold a funeral for father, who apparently died of kidney failure. Being in the funeral of someone who made your life miserable was hard and I didn't know what to feel. By the end of the day, I had to tell myself he was a monster and I shouldn't feel bad for not crying over his grave.

But now to have a complete stranger address it brought back sudden flashbacks of both mom and dad. It brought back memories of a simpler time. A time filled with laughs and hugs. A time where we used to go to the beach and malls like a normal family. A time before my mom was diagnosed with cancer and dad started drinking.

"How do you know my dad is dead?" I asked, my voice becoming strained all of a sudden.

"I know a lot of things." He winked again and I felt like punching his face. Before I could think more about what he meant by that, he continued on.

"So this here is Lucas Whitmore?" He asked, pointing at Lucas. Hawkins grunted which Heath took as a yes.

"I'll have a look at him and let you all know if he is lying or insane." Heath said, clapping his hands in excitement. "Let's go Lucas!"

"Go where?" Lucas and I asked in unison.

"You can't expect me to do it here!" Heath said, mocking surprise. "It's not a magic show, there are a lot of tests."

"No." Hawkins said firmly. Heath raised an eyebrow, daring him to continue. "You are not taking anyone anywhere."

"Well, why not?" Heath asked. "I promise I'm not going to kill him and put his brain on display."

"What?" Lucas spoke up, fear etched in his voice.

"Alright, that's it." Rex gave an exhausted sigh and led Lucas out of the room, who did so begrudgingly.

"Where are you taking him?" Heath sounded offended. Hawkins ignored him and looked at me.

"Charlotte." My name rolled off his tongue with no effort, almost as if he knew me for years rather than just a day. He sounded concerned and my heart warmed slightly because he did make it sound like how a father would. Like how my father wouldn't.

But then again, he did arrest me a few hours back so I still had mixed feelings about him.

"There is two things we can do here." Hawkins continued on. "If you do file a breaking and entering charges against Lucas Whitmore, we can keep him in holding and Heath will take a look at him."