07 | Deceit

"The Bluebell cannot charm me now, The heath has lost its bloom. The violets in the Glen below. They yield no sweet perfume."
- Emily Brontë
____________________

It was almost four in the evening. The students rushed out of my university in crowds, all of them looking tired and exhausted. I was glad to be on this side of the gate for once.

I leaned against the tree with Lucas by my side. He seemed to be thrilled by every single thing he saw, from a butterfly to the huge buildings. Judging by his innocent nature, I thought he would have run when we came across a big black dog on the way here, but he had simply gasped and started patting its head. I guess he is a dog person.

"Why are we here?" Lucas asked, looking up at the sky as if asking God.

"I told you, I'm waiting for CJ," I answered, getting a bit annoyed at his questions.

"But we could just go back to your house!" He whined like a kid, and the group of girls who passed by looked at him in shock.

"That's not what he meant!" I yelled at their backs but they didn't seem to believe it. I groaned as they walked on, already gossiping about me.

"I told you, Gloria is still setting up the guest room and my car is here. I left the keys with CJ." I explained.

When I had told him back at the precinct that he was going to live with me for a couple of days, he was absolutely thrilled. In his defense, I haven't exactly told him that he would be just there until he gets a proper checkup. He seemed happy because he thinks I believe him and I didn't want to change that.

I looked around for the familiar pink ponytail while Lucas continued jumping around the bushes and in between the trees, a scene which reminded me of a TV show, except it was a twelve-year-old girl in a fairy dress instead of Lucas.

He came to a halt and looked at me in surprise.

"Is Car your dog's name?" He asked and I blinked in surprise. Before I could retort with some sarcastic comment, I saw CJ walking towards us with a huge smile on her face.

"There you are!" She gave me a small hug. "You said you would sneak in at noon!"

"That would have been easy if I was alone." I said, pointing at Lucas. "Lucas and I decided to wait till the classes are over."

"Lucas?" She looked at him and burst into laughter. "Why are you wearing that?"

I forgot about his eccentric clothes and let out a short laugh. "He has a weird fashion sense. Very vintage."

"Lucas Whitmore." He said politely, ignoring our comments. He held out his hand and CJ took it, confusion etched on her face.

"Uh- I'm CJ!" She stammered because she wasn't used to polite guys.

"Why are you introducing me to your burglar?" She leaned to me and whispered.

"That burglar is living with me." I said, sighing.

"I'm not a burglar!" Lucas scoffed, letting go of CJ's hand.

"Yeah, he claims to be Lucas Whitmore, who time travelled from 1761 when he fell asleep in the Buckingham Palace," I said emotionless, trying not to roll my eyes.

"No I'm from St. James-" He started to correct me but I continued talking to CJ.

"I just need my car keys."

"Hold up!" She stared from me to Lucas. "Why is he living in your house? Why is he even at this university in the first place?"

"I'm helping him. The poor guy is-" I stopped before I could say nuts and thought for a while. "Confused."