12 | Dean Carmichael

Knock knock knock.

"Just so you know, I talk- you should just stay silent." I said sharply. Lucas nodded, only half listening because he was busy eyeing the tidy and beautiful garden in the front of the house.

A woman my age opened the door with a warm smile. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and she was wearing a Do Hugs Not Drugs t-shirt. Her eyes were wide with pleasant surprise.

"Elise Wander?" I asked, taking the card out of my jacket's pocket to make sure we were in the right place.

"No, I'm not her!" She laughed politely, "I'm just passing by. Who are you?"

"I'm Charlotte and this is Luke-"

"Lucas," he interrupted.

"-we are on the behalf of Haywood Police Department." I continued and saw the smile slowly fading off from her face.

"Is it about that kid again?" She asked seriously. She didn't seem to be concerned for Elise. On the other hand, she seemed rather eager for gossip.

"I'm afraid we can't tell you that unless you are her-"

"Family? Her family sucks ass." She knotted her hands and glared at me, annoyed at the lack of information.

"These flowers are beautiful!" Lucas stated, oblivious of our conversation. I groaned but the lady's eyes lit up.

"It is! I always ask Elise to water the plants but her memory is as good as mine on New Year's eve!"

"Then how are they not wilted yet?" Lucas asked, looking genuinely interested.

I scoffed, which made her look suspiciously at me. I blinked and realized I may have offended her.

"I- how are these flowers- um- healthy?" I asked, trying to match Lucas's enthusiasm, which was a lot.

"I'm here most of the week," a smile slowly crept back into her face, "Elise is almost like my own family. She gets lonely so I accompany her."

"Are you her neighbor?" I asked, taking out a notepad. I have been scorching the internet to look for good ways one could interview a witness and all of the sites said that we need to write or record it. Some clues are hidden deep within a conversation, which is why it's important to write down as much as possible.

"I met her through a library." She said brightly. "Such an amazing lady! And her cookies are the best!"

"So...." I squinted, trying to make sense of what she was saying. "You just randomly pop in every day? Don't you have friends your own age?"

Lucas let out a gasp like I stabbed her in the chest.

"Do not be so rude, Charlotte!" He said gruffly and she laughed.

"It's fine Luke," she began, waving her hands.

"Lucas," he interrupted but once again he was pushed out of the conversation.

"I do have friends." She shrugged, "but I never had a family. That's not right- I do have a family but I'd rather just have Elise."

"Why? What's wrong with your family?" I asked.

"They say I'm a waste of space." She shrugged again and stepped aside. "Well, come on in. Elise is probably in the kitchen."

I smiled and stepped into the household, gesturing to Lucas to follow me. He had been glancing at the garden again with a dreamy smile and slightly jumped when I snapped my fingers.

"I'm Clare by the way," she said, throwing us a smile over her shoulders. It struck me how optimistic and bright she was. It was like she was living permanently as a cheerleader. I found that very impressive because I know I'll be depressed and tired like Poe.