52. warnings

The once giddy and hopeful mood of our group has dissipated as the suns rose into the sky, illuminating the pain and sorrow that was written on all of our faces.

Shaw was gone. He had died while the rest of us survived. We needed to do good by him now.

Silence. That was all that could be heard as the group of us marched on, looking for sign of human life. We had made it to the beacon-thanks to Shaw- so now all there was for us to do was keep going.

"What do we tell Raven?" Clarke wondered as we made our way up at grassy hill. Everyone's eyes flickered downward at the mention of what had happened.

I pushed the lump down in my throat, staring straight ahead as I tilted my chin slightly. "We tell her the truth." My voice was hoarse, coming as a result of little sleep and the devastation of the past few hours.

Bellamy nodded as he looked over to me with a careful expression. "He died a hero."

"I hate to make this about us-" Murphy spoke from somewhere behind me.

"--Then don't." Clarke snapped, not looking back. "Shaw just saved your life, Murphy."

"I'm aware." he confirmed. "But I'm also aware that we just lost our pilot."

I kept my eyes locked forward, trying to keep myself from getting worked over what Murphy was saying.

"Madi's still up there." he pressed on, clearly trying to provoke Clarke. "You're not worried you're never gonna see her again?"

That was Clarke's breaking point. She turned around furiously, lunging at Murphy before he had a chance to get away.

"Whoa, whoa, whoah! Easy, easy." Miller ordered, stepping in between the two of them. "Ignore him." he advised to Clarke.

I turned, watching with tired eyes as Murphy smirked at the two of them, clearly not done with his antics. "Yeah. Your Red Queen is still up there, too, Miller. Who you gonna follow now?"

Miller ignored his own advice, grabbing a hold of Murphy's jacket in preparation of hitting him.

I let out a frustrated breath as I looked over at them. "Enough." I demanded sternly. "Grow up, John. And Miller, just relax, okay? We have bigger problems than each other right now."

Murphy still wore a smirk as Miller looked over at me, his grip on Murphy slowly loosening.

"As therapeutic as it is to beat up on Murphy," Bellamy agreed. "Emori and Avery can fly."

Emori's face fell, mine doing exactly the same thing. I wasn't sure where Bellamy had been for those six years on the Ring, but I was no where close to being able to pilot a ship like that.

Sure, Emori and I had trained under Raven, her more with the piloting, me more with the programming. But nonetheless, we were no experts.

"Sure." Emori agreed, clear hesitancy in her voice. "I've had one successful landing in a ship I trained in for six years. No problem." her response was entirely sarcastic.

I nodded, raising my brows at Bellamy. "And I've had absolutely zero successful landings. Should be good." I muttered, turning and following after Emori who had continued the walk.

Only moments later did something catch my eye. It stuck out from the same green path we had been on for the last thirty minutes or so.

"Guys! Stairs." Echo announced, all of us picking up the pace at the prospect of finding something.

"Woah, woah. Easy." Bellamy ordered, "We approach slow. No hostile movements."

The group of us moved closer together, preparing for any sign of danger. My hand hovered by the gun that hung by my hip, praying I wouldn't have to use it.