Chapter 21

My head was reeling with all my new thoughts. I jumped off the tower I was sitting on, and dived low, swooping through a low archway into a courtyard, then turned my momentum upwards with a flap of my wings, looping the loop before slowing and just hovering, flapping my wings to keep me aloft. From here I could see the whole castle spread out beneath me, and I also saw a figure out by Hagrids hut. It looked like Hagrid, and I swooped closer, landing lightly on the cabin roof. I watched as he lit a lamp, then started to chop some wood. 

I watched him, and as he was reaching for a new piece of wood, spoke.

"It's late."

He turned, surprised, and saw me perched on the roof, wings spread.

"That it is. Wha' are you doin' up there? How did you...?"

I flapped my wings once. 

"Not just for show, you know."

"Of course. Now actually, I've been meaning to talk to you. I've been planning to teach a few lessons, y'know, and I've been thinkin' that I would like to do Elder Dragons next, as a topic. I was wonderin' if.. maybe you would... make a guest appearance? As a dragon of course." 

"Sure! I want to keep it secret, so appearing as a dragon would be perfect!. I want to learn more about my race as well."

He was relived at my enthusiasm. "Phew. That'll make a great lesson, that will! I'll have to fix it up with Dumbledore, but I'm sure he'll say yes." Pausing for a second, he looked at me. "I 'ave to warn you, most wizards don' know a lot about Elders, think they're mindless beasts and whatnot."

"Don't worry Hagrid! I won't burn your house down, though I may eat some of my class. Joking!"

I laughed at the shocked look on his face.  "Well, I might scare them if they annoy me, but they won't be harmed. I'll just pin them"

I grinned, thinking of Malfoy squirming beneath my claws. This was going to be fun!

"So, when do I star in your class?"

He looked thoughtful. "Hmmm. In abou' a week, maybe two. I'll have to arrange it all with Dumbledore, and tell the class. Elder Dragons are rare nowdays."

"Why are we rare?"

He was uncomfortable. "Well, there was the wizards killing random dragons, and a few Elders mus'  have been in the mix.... An' the Death Eaters."

"What are Death Eaters?"

"He Who Must Not Be Nameds followers. Dark folk, they can kill without thinking. Anyway, so He Who Must Not Be Named sent an embassy up to the mountains to try and convince the Elders to join him. They were powerful on the battlefield, with the claws an' scales an' fire breath. The Death Eaters met up with the leaders, an' the Red, Blue Green an' Black Dragons all said no. You see, He Who Must Not Be Named thought of people as enemies or followers. The Elders wern't followers, so they were enimies. So they were almost destroyed. Put a big whole in You Know Whos ranks though. The survivors joined Dumbledore, then when You Know Who disappeared, they did too. Some think they went back up their mountain."

"But If they all disappeared... Then why am I here?"

"That's the question, Jane. That's the question everyone is askin'. Anyway, you should be in bed."

I laughed, and took off from the roof, calling a goodbye over my shoulder. I flew up to Gryffindor tower, slipping through my window. 

"You have some explaining to do."

I turned, to see Hermione, with her arms crossed, eyebrow raised, waiting for an explanation.

Oh beep.