Chapter 52

I was racing Hermione back to the dormitories when she suddenly stopped dead. 

I skidded to a stop a few feet ahead of her, and looked back to see...

An empty corridor. 

I stared. 

"...What.  Hermione?"

"Shh!"

The sound seemed to come from thin air.

I blinked, but before I could voice my confusion, a hand appeared, grabbed me, and pulled me under- a cloak?

"Be very quiet."she hissed, glancing nervously towards a bend in the corridor. 

"..Why?"

"I'm about to come round that corner."

I blinked. 

"Past me. Oh! You need to tell me to go back. 5 hours, OK? and then get Harry's Cloak and go and stand at the Ministry."

"What?"

"Five hours!"

She pushed me out from under the Cloak, and I caught my feet just to see-

Hermione walk around the corner. 

I glanced in bewilderment between this Hermione and the slightly shimmering patch of light that was the other Hermione. 

"Oh, hello Jane! How did the trial go?"

My focus snapped back to (past?) Hermione, and I very eloquently let out an "Uhhhh.."

"Did you remember all the facts? With Jack the Ripper?"

"Yeah, yeah, umm, Hermione, you told me to tell you to do something?"

Her forehead creased. 

"What?"

"Five hours? Cloak? Stand for me?"

I hoped she would understand some of that. 

"Oh! What happened? No matter, I'll find out for myself! See you soon!"

She rushed back around the corner she came from, muttering to herself about stable loops. 

What just happened?

The other Hermione stepped out from her Cloak, patting at the back of her hair distractedly. 

I mentally shrugged. 

Time was complicated. 

"Now we can't go back to the dormitory for at least ten minutes... Shame, I'm so tired."

"What else can we do?"

We looked at each other, and shrugged simultaneously. 

I thought for a second, then had an idea. 

"Why don't we go flying? It's pretty dark."