Chapter 23

The next day, we had Herbology. Plants. Great. As a Elder, I was a person who liked fire. Not plants.  I sighed as I pulled a Mandrake from its pot, wincing at the scream it produced. I wasn't a fan of nature. 

Hermione caught my eye.  She had been doing that a lot. We had brainstormed ideas about my 'power' , but after a failed attempt to talk to Crookshanks,and me staring at a glass trying (and failing) to tip it, we ran out of time and ideas. I was determined to find a Dementor, to see more about my mother, and how I came to be on that doorstep. 

After we finished with the plants, we had DADA (Defense Against the Dark Arts). We walked into the classroom to find professor Lupin already there, waiting for us to come. 

"No, don't sit down, and take out your wands please. You'll be needing them."

Cool. A practical. I wondered what we would be doing.

"Come with me."

We followed Professor Lupin out into the corridor, where he hurried off towards the Charms classrooms. On the way we passed Peeves, who was stuffing chewing gum into a keyhole. We stopped.

"Peeves, Filch will not be pleased that you have gummed up his keyholes. Please take it out."

Peeves just blew a raspberry.

"I tried. Wadiwasi!"

The chewing gum instantly flew out of the keyhole, and it shot up Peeve's nostril. He wailed, and flew rapidly away, glancing fearfully over his pale shoulder.

After that the whole class showed Professor Lupin a lot more respect. 

We went into a charms classroom, which was empty except for a closet that was shaking slightly.

"Now, dos anyone know what's in this cupboard? No? Any guesses?"

I slowly raised my hand. "Is it a Boggart?"

"Yes, it is! Well done Miss Draconis! Dos anyone else know what a Boggart dos?"

Hermione raised her hand. "It changes shape into whatever whoever's facing it fears most!"

"Good, Miss Granger! We are in a group, so we have an advantage over this Boggart. Mr Potter, can you tell us what this advantage is?"

Harry was suprised to be singled out. "Ummmm, there are lots of us, so it will not know what to change into?"

"Absolutely right. Now there is a simple spell to get rid of a Boggart. It goes like this: Ridicallus.Try it."

Murmur's of Ridicallus filled the air.

"Good. Now, I'll need a volunteer."

No-one put up their hands. 

"OK, I'll pick someone randomly."

He looked at Neville.

"Master Longbottom, can you come forward please."

Neville turned white, and edged forward to the centre of the room.

"Now, Neville, what are you most afraid of?"

He mumbled something.

"What was that?"

"Professor Snape."

Laughter filled the room as Neville turned pink.

"Ok then, settle down. Now I understand you live with your grandmother? What dos she usually wear? No, don't tell me, we'll all see soon enough. Now, I'm going to release that Boggart, then what you have too do is think of those clothes, hold them in your mind, and say the incantation, pointing your wand at the Boggart. Can you do that?"

"I-I think so."

"OK, get ready."

Neville pointed his wand at the closet, as he pointed his wand at the cupboard. Lupin slowly opened the door, and the Boggart walked out. It was disguised as Snape, and it was so good that I was fooled for a moment. Neville was white and shaking, but he closed his eyes and said "R-Ridicallus"

Then I was amazed. Truly. I burst out laughing, as Snape, Slimy Serious Snape, was wearing a hat with a vulture on. His new outfit also had a brown blouse and a green skirt. I coulden't stop laughing.

"Perfect Neville, Perfect! Now, who wants a go! Make a line."

I shouldered to near the front of the line, behind Ron. Ron stepped forward, and Snape faced him, then transformed into a giant spider. Ron was white and shaking, then forced out a shaky "R-Ridicallus" and the spider had roller-skates on! it was scrabbling about, not able to keep it's balance, and it was my turn. The spider faced me, and I was confident that I could defeat whatever came. Then it transformed into one of Them. The men in masks who killed my father. I coulden't face Them. He raised his arm, but I was already gone.

I ran out of the corridor at top speed, shaking with fear. I took random turns and climbed a staircase, ending up beside a tapestry of dancing trolls. I paced back and forth, trying to calm myself.

It's okay. I'm strong. I can face them. But I need somewhere safe. Somewhere to train. Somewhere to learn more.

Then a door appeared beside me. I stopped, startled, but this was a magic school. I gave the door a shifty look, then opened it, and went in.

Inside was the best place. It was warm, and had a large fireplace. The room was large, with lots of training dummies, and books, and even an aerial assault course. But something else caught my eye, and held it. A suit of armor, on a rack. A suit of armor for a dragon.

I walked across the room, stopping in front of the armor. I felt a strong pull to this armor, and wanted to touch it. I reached out, and touched the head piece. Suddenly glowing runes in a language I didn't understand appeared. They were gold against the shining silver armor, then they turned red, and twisted and transformed, turning the armor into human armor.Human armor with wings.  Then it started to glow. I watched, transfixed, as the runes spiraled round the armor, then disappeared. The metal seemed to vibrate, then disappeared as well. I was left, shell shocked. The armor was gone. I thought of it, all shiny, with the red runes. Then I felt something happening. Liquid metal swirled across my vision, transforming into the armor. But now I was wearing it. It was my armor. I looked at my hands, encased in metal gauntlets, and flexed them. The armor was so light, I coulden't believe I was wearing it. There was a dragon design on the chest, and my wings stretched out behind me, encased in light chain mail, leaving them protected, but maneuverable. There was no way of hiding my wings with this armor on. I took off the helmet, and looked at it. There was a hard ridge, like the on on my dragon back, down the back, and a sort of Y shaped hole for my eyes and mouth. All the armor was edged in gold, and shining as brightly as it had just been polished. there was a strange sheen to the metal, as if it were liquid under glass. I tried to take the chest plate off, but it stuck to me. I put the helmet back on, and grinned.

A dilemma occured to me. How was I going to take this armor off? Just as I thought of it, the armor disappeared, reappearing on the stand. My grin grew wider. I just had to think, and I was enclosed in magical armor. How cool is that?