Chapter 2 - Akward Beginnings

I woke up to barking.

"Rex stop," I heard a voice yell and footsteps.

"Sweetheart I'm going to need you to be quiet. People are still sleeping."

"Sorry mom," the little voice said.

The voices faded. I got up and my back was killing me. I needed to find painkillers soon.

I got up and went to the bathroom. I made myself as presentable as possible and walked downstairs. I went to the kitchen which wasn't hard to find.  The whole house was so open. 

Two boys were sitting at the island eating breakfast. They didn't see me yet until a little dog came up to me and barked, jumping on my legs. He was a little German Shepherd with floppy cute ears. I knelt and scratched him behind the ears. He jumped on me and licked my face.

"Hehe, he likes you." A little boy said coming to me. He had messy brown hair and blue eyes. He looked young, maybe 10. We pet the dog together.

"What's his name?" I asked.

"It's Rex like a T-rex. He's gonna grow and be a dinosaur."

I laughed.

Ted walked in, "How did you sleep, Cassie?"

"Good."

"Good," he turned to the other boy eating breakfast, "This is River, the middle child."

"Hi," River said smiling.

"And I'm Eli. I just turned ten."

"Double digits, that's a big number," I said.

"I know," he said proudly.

"What do you want for breakfast? We have cereal, eggs, waffles, pancakes, pop tarts. Whatever you want. Or a sandwich if you want?" Ted asked me.

"Umm ill just have cereal thanks."

"River has fruit loops you want that?"

"If that's okay," I replied.

"River stop hogging all the fruit loops," Eli said.

"I'm not, you are, look at your bowl, it's filled."

Eli laughed hiding his bowl from view.
Ted got me a bowl and a spoon. I poured cereal and the milk in. And started eating. Julie came in shortly after.

"Good morning Cassie, morning boys. Did you sleep well?" She asked me.

"Yes, it was nice."

"Wonderful, after you eat we are going shopping okay?"

"You don't have to, I'm fine," I said not wanting to be a hassle.

"Dear, you can't live with just two outfits. That is just crazy. And I will not allow it."

"Okay."

She went behind me and put her hand on my back. Right where the cut was. I bit the inside of my cheek. I stood up quickly.

"Okay, are we going now?" Trying to act like nothing happen.

Everyone was looking at me.

"Sure, are you done eating?"

"Yep."

Ted took my dish and put it in the dishwasher.

"What happened to your jaw?" Julie asked.

The bruise. "Umm, I hit it on the nightstand."

"Oh no are you okay?"

I internally rolled my eyes. Why would she care?