Chapter 6 - I'm Fine

"Mom, what's wrong with Cassie?"

"Well she hasn't had a great past and that makes her not trust people as easily."

"Is she okay?" This was one of the older boys.

"She will be as long as she's with us. I need everyone here to be nice." Julie told the boys. "She seems to be sensitive to touch and loud noises. Keep an eye on her during school."

I opened my eyes. The sun was just coming up. They were in the kitchen.
They were eating breakfast and talking in hushed voices.

"We will mom."

I slowly sat up. My whole body was sore from the soccer conditioning.

"Cassie, how are you feeling?" Ted asked, walking to me.

"I'm alright,"

"Are you good enough for school?"

"Yeah I'm good," I got up and headed for the stairs.

I went to my room and started getting ready. There was a knock on my door and I opened it. Julie was there.

"I'm not sure you should go to soccer today. You seemed pretty tired yesterday and we would like to talk to you after school," Julie said.

"I won't fall asleep this time please it was so fun, I haven't done it in so long," I begged her.

She thought about it, "Okay fine but we are going to talk, after soccer okay?"

"Okay," I looked down at my hand feeling as if I did something wrong.

What did they want to talk about? About what happened last night? Or maybe they have already decided they don't want me anymore?

I went to school thinking about what the talk was going to be about. The whole day I expected to be pulled out of class. It didn't happen.

The boys tried to act normal, but I could tell that they were... uncomfortable. I don't know if that's the right word, but something was off.

I didn't talk to anyone most of the day. I sat with Rylie and Emma at lunch again and just ate listening to their conversation.

"Hey, why are you so quiet today?" Emma asked.

"I'm tired," I replied.

"Ugh same," she continued talking about the boys she likes.

On my way out of Economics Jacklin "accidentally" pushed me into the door frame. I hit my head hard. It was loud. Everyone around us looked at me. My vision blurred for a second.

I continued to walk out of the class and to biology. I heard Cole called my name, but I didn't want to talk to him or anyone. It was just a bump on the head, I'm not broken.

He caught up to me grabbing my arm. I flinched and he let go quickly.

"Sorry," he said, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I kept walking toward biology and thankfully he didn't follow.

The last two classes were boring and I got a headache in sixth block which didn't help my mood.

I went to soccer practice and I felt like my body was put on autopilot.

We did the scrimmage again at the end, but my head was killing me.

I asked the coach if I could sit out. I laid down on the grass behind the bench.

During a water break, Adam came over to me.

"Hey, are you not feeling good? We can go home if you want."

"No I'm fine," I said.

"Okay," he said, looking at me with concerned eyes.