Chapter 4 - Painless First Day

The next morning I went downstairs early because I could't go back to sleep.  

Elijah was already in the kitchen, dressed and ready for school since elementary school started earlier.  

"Morning Eli," I yawned.  

"Good morning Cass," he giggled at his new nickname for me.  

I smiled sadly as I remembered when Kyle called me Cass.

Kyle.  I pushed the memory out of my head.  It was too painful.

I got out cereal and went to the island.

"Good morning Cassie, you excited?" Julie said walking in. 

"More nervous," 

"Aw, don't be, the boys will be with you."

I nodded, but I wasn't sure if that would necessarily help my nervousness.

"Ready to go, Eli," Ted asked, walking in.

"Yep, Mrs. Koon said that today in art class we are going to make airplanes," Eli exclaimed.

"Oh, sounds fun, have a good day honey," Julie waved them goodbye.

"I'm off to work," Julie grabbed her purse and bag, "The boys should be up any minute now.  Have a good day at school and soccer," she hugged me and left.

It was the end of September, so school had started a month ago.  Which meant everyone would know I was new.  Ugh.

I never had an easy time making friends.  Many people at my old schools called me shy, quiet, or reserved.  Whatever that means.  Most of my conversations went something like this:

"Hi, how are you?"

"I'm good, how are you?"

"Good"

"That's good."

End of scene.

I hated school, the work, the teachers, and the classmates.  But I was good at it.

"Morning," Henry walked in.  

He grabbed a bowl and sat next to me.  

One at a time each of the boys came in except for Cole until we were all sat at the island.  

I finished my cereal and placed the bowl in the dishwasher.  

I headed upstairs to get ready.

I put on some skinny jeans with a light pink sweater.  I had already covered up my bruises before going downstairs, so I just applied some mascara.  

Julie had picked this outfit out for me at the store because she had found matching light pink vans.

I packed leggings and a sweatshirt for soccer.

I put my hair up in a messy bun and went downstairs.  

Adam and Henry were already downstairs. 

"River, we're leaving," Adam shouted up the stairs.  River soon came down.  

"What about Cole?" I asked.  

"He has late arrival. He doesn't have a first block." Adam answered.

I nodded.

We went outside where there were two cars parked next to the garage.  Adam got in the driver's seat and River in the passenger seat.

I sat behind River with Henry next to me.  

"Hopefully you have some of our classes, so you won't be lonely," Henry said.

"Hopefully," I said, not meaning it.  I still didn't trust them.