4th Shot: Let There Be Light

"I'll pair you up with Ukyo for patrols, however sometimes I'll have you do it by yourself. With both of your capability as a team, our defense will be doubled automatically."

Straight the next day after Taiju, Ukyo, and [First Name] went exploring in search of materials and crafting bow, arrows, and quiver, she was called by the infamous leader himself for a rather personal chat. As Tsukasa sat on his stone-made throne, he decided to put her ability in good use by giving her patrol duties. She's not alone, Ukyo became her partner ever since.

It gave her advantages in its own way–she knew what to do to kill time everyday instead of lazing around doing barely anything, she managed to build a mind-map about the area and further in the more precise, also a new form of practice and honed her skill.

Stone world gave her a new type of freedom she never felt before–there's no such thing about worrying excessively about your future. Human's lifestyle reduced to something more primitive; gathering food, making clothes, defending yourself against wild animals, and build shelters. Unlike in the previous world where you feel anxiety about uncertainty, about money, education, work, or anything else. It became irrelevant. Now, it revolved around how to survive when human was dethroned from the top of the food chain.

Mother Nature doesn't side with anything or anyone–if you're strong enough, you will live. If you're not, then you have no chance to see the next day.

Now, it has been a few weeks since she learnt to adapt–getting used to a new routine, getting used around new people who now became her comrades, getting used in hunting and completing other duties.

[First Name] huffed as she landed on a branch, under the cool shade of thick leaves. The air was humid with occasional breeze flew by. Rummaging through her satchel, she pulled out a water container made of leather and offered it to a person already sitting on the same branch while leaning against the trunk.

"Thank you for your hard work."

Ukyo sighed in exhaustion, accepting the drink. "You too."

She then sat on the empty space beside her, taking a rest on her own as her partner took large gulps from her container. Ukyo gasped in relief, feeling rehydrated and wiping a trail of water from his chin. "Anything unusual?"

[First Name] sighed and shook her head. "Nothing at all. Just the usual wild animals here and there, but there's black smoke on a place far from here. I assumed it's the primitive village Tsukasa-san told Gen-san to investigate."

Her routine also led her to be quite close with the ex-sonarman, knowing they're practically together almost everyday. They usually split their duties to cover wider area and promised to meet up in the spot their agreed on if they're finished.

"If that's all, then we can get back." Ukyo said, jumping from the branch and landed safely on the ground. "Come on."

"Give me a break please, my leg feels like jelly," she sighed in defeat, feet dangling. All she got in reply was him chuckling in amusement–which made her eye twitched. Finally, [First Name] scoffed before scooting to the edge and jumped down. She yelped, feeling her knees buckle from sudden weight addition. Before she hit the ground, Ukyo's hand already stretched out to get ahold of her arm.

"Thank you. It reminds me to climb down if it turns out like this," she huffed, straightening herself.

"Now, let's head back to report. It's getting dark." He suggested which earned him a nod in agreement.

Blue sky transitioned into orange–clouds darkened; the sun bathed the earth in orange glow. Nocturnal began rising from their slumber, Ukyo could hear crickets and other insects competing whose sound could dominate the forest. The world has come alive, defeating silence engulfing both of them.