CHAPTER 55

Alexis

"It's a long way home," Liam closes his eyes, his fingers thrumming over the piano expertly, "and you weren't there."

My knuckles have turned stark white from gripping the armrest too hard and I feel like I have acid dripping down my throat. I knew Liam was an amazing singer but I didn't know he was this good that I have tears sliding down my face.

Or maybe it's just Aaron and my broken heart.

"And maybe it's the patches of my heart you strung together," I see Andrew on the corner most seat of the row, a hand clamped over his face. No wonder he wanted to sit alone for Liam's performance, this seems so personal. Liam did a wonderful job with his song.

But it also manages to pull at my heartstrings. I did not expect to tumble over on the stairs, when I came in, barely stopping myself so I don't fall face first on the floor; I looked up to see Aaron, concern sketched on his forehead, I don't think he realized that he was worried about me. It seemed to unleash something so heavy inside me and it's still pressed up against my chest and my throat and my arms and my legs and I am sitting here, unable to move a hair or stop the steady flow of tears on my face.

"Oh you make the days shine brighter," Liam takes on a high note and the constant up and down of his pitch works its magic on me and suddenly I am glued to this seat unable to do anything except sit in complete awe of Liam. Unable to turn around and address the forest green eyes resting on me.

When Liam finishes, Andrew is the first one to get up on shaky legs, with tears on his face. It takes us all a moment to step out of the trance and stand up. Slowly the whole auditorium is filled with teary glances and sloppy applause, and Liam looking at Andrew smiling shyly.

When he told me the first time that he was going to take a big risk and perform an original on the recital, I hyped him up but I also told him that it could be the biggest fucking clusterfuck. Sometimes I am so glad Liam doesn't pay attention to the shit that comes out of my mouth always. I wipe my cheeks with my hands as he smiles at me from the stage. This was the purest, most magical thing I had ever heard and Justin Bieber can suck it.

"We need to talk," Aaron grabs my arm and a spark shoots down my whole arm as he pulls me away from the crowd, towards the exit.

"Aaron," I tumble on my skirt at the stairs and Aaron slows down a bit, worry flashing in his features for a second before he turns his face away.

I grab my skirt and keep up with him, "Aaron stop."

"NO."

"Where are we going what the hell?"

"We need to talk," Aaron says icily, dragging me up a flight of winding stairs.

"Can we do this later?" I am going to cry.

"No, we need to talk and we need to do it now."

We walk down the long corridor and it's eerily empty and silent. There are alternate doors on each side of the corridor and it looks like some kind of guest rooms or something. The long corridor is washed with a bright warm golden light and my heels dig in the plush black rug adorning the floor.

"What place is this?"

He doesn't say anything as he slides a key in the last door of the corridor.

He goes in first as I slowly take in the room. There's a queen-sized bed smack in the middle of the room and the wall in front of me is lit with a huge window that takes up half of the wall, Boston skyline peeking through the shut lace curtains. As I walk in, I notice a wooden dresser and a side table beside the bed. It is a guest room.