CHAPTER 40

Aaron

I don't know a lot of things, but I am pretty sure of this.

I am falling in love.

I can taste the bitter sweet tang of the night on my tongue, and Lexie's honeysuckle and jasmine scent tickles my senses. It's a different perfume she's wearing, sweeter and more feminine than the previous one and it's figuring out where the nooks and crannies of the places I keep hidden inside of me and I cant do anything except sit and stare.

So I sit and stare.

I sit and stare at Alexis who's growing heavy and drunk on my chest, who is leaning on me, who has one arm wrapped around an empty vodka bottle, who dozed off minutes ago and asked me to wake her up when we reach, who smells like honeysuckle and jasmine today, who has her head on my chest and my arms wrapped around her.

I sit and stare at Alexis who I think I might be falling in love with.

In front of me Ellie and Logan are whispering slowly to themselves and Ellie has her feet propped up on the dashboard of her car, and one hand stroking Logan's cheek gently. For all his declarations of living life the way college life is meant to be lived, and yelling and singing along to the radio, he's awfully quiet tonight. But he has a tranquil sheet over his face which I know mirrors mine and I am glad.

We are driving on some lonely highway and the headlights of the trucks from the other side of the road, blinds me but I don't care. I can see the little fireflies and the trees which are lit up by their glow like a million stars and there's the wind calling me and I am hit by that same bittersweet tang, which I have come to associate with night ever since I was seven and my Dad was still my Dad, and not some strict, psycho, emotionally abusive teacher who only cares about what people will think of his son's grades, and back when we used to go on road trips just because and back when I hadn't met this whirlwind of a life force who goes by the name of Alexis, who laughs like there are a hundred different summer breezes inside her, who has lipsticks in every shade imaginable and every time she wears one she leaves an imprint of it right on my heart like a weird bulls eye, who won't go on a date with me and who is most likely going to break my heart.

When I was up on that ramp and I got to see her, I was pretty sure I'd fall apart or fall down right then and there. Red really is her colour. She looked so beautiful and dainty in that pearl beaded dress and that bloody red lipstick, I could feel every single thread of my being coming apart. I was falling apart at the seams. I was coming undone.

Right now, she's drowsy in my arms, not yet sleepy but not fully awake either. I brush aside a soft strand of hair from her cheeks and I hope to all the Gods above that she doesn't notice when I drag my knuckles across her cheek in a feather light touch. I am overcome by this jerking urge to paint her. Especially her hair; the golden and yellow and the sunshine that only comes from the blonde of her hair and I wish more than anything I could have her.

"Where are we?" Lexie looks up at me and smiles sleepily, with strands of her hair all over her face and sparkling blue eyes under the periodic glow of streetlights falling through the window over her face.

I am hit with a tidal wave. I am here, and I am in her eyes, and she is in my arms, and she is looking up at me with drunken eyes and I am up seven feet in the air because I have never felt like this, there is only Alexis and her red lips and her messy hair sprawled over my left arm and if this isn't what heaven looks like then I don't want it.

"I don't know," My voice comes out hoarse and cracked and every atom of my being is aware of her, of the heart stopping half smile she is blessing me with, right now.

"You don't know?" Lexie hiccups, "What happened to the golden boy?"

I stick my tongue out at her, all the while thinking about Alexis. Drunk and owns my heart.

"What happened to the Aaron who keeps his assignments arranged color-coded?" She continues, "And the one who submits those on time?"

Logan snorts from the front seat, "You colour code your assignments bro?"

"Yes some of us are responsible."

"Hey! I am responsible too!"

"No babe, you're not," Ellie says, matter-of-factly and there's that.

There's a calculated silence of about three seconds before Lexie huffs in my arms and everyone starts to laugh. But all I can think about is her: drunk and owns my heart.

I think I am falling in love.

_______________________________________
Sooooo?????
Did you like it???👉👈
Let me know what you think and please vote, share and comment ♥️

Also check out the song, it's one of my personal favorites and Aaron embodies it so well in this chapter.