25. Abandoned

Isabella's POV

I still remember the day when I had to go to the hospital for my mom. I couldn't stop crying all the way up to the hospital, my whole body was trembling with fear. The fear of losing her.

That's how I felt right now, everything was coming back. The agony. The anxiety. The panic. The shaking. The Everything.

It felt like I was completely reliving that exact melancholic moment of my life. Except everything was much much worse and that's because aunt Jane was with me in my entire journey to the hospital that day and held onto me like I was the most delicate thing ever. She consoled me for the longest time and convinced a sixteen-year-old into thinking that her mom turned into a beautiful angel.

She was with me back then. And now she's not. Now she needs me and I'll be there for her.

As soon as I make it to the hospital, I practically sprint towards the reception.

Panting vigorously I try to catch my breath before asking."Excuse me, please tell me where Mrs. Jane Rogers's room is?"

The receptionist nods and starts looking through her laptop.

"Yes shes in room number 606, sixth floor'' she gestures towards the elevator almost like she understands my emergency.

"Thank you so much."

With that I immediately rushed into the elevator, pressing onto six number button and the close button simultaneously

Anxiously tapping my foot, my vision to the tiny black screen gets interrupted by the beats of sweat sliding from my hairline onto my eyelashes, mixing with my salty tears.

Then tightening my hold on the straps of the money bag doesn't help either. My hands still wouldn't stop shaking. So does my legs underneath my baggy jeans that I'd hurriedly managed to put on before leaving back at the apartments. And my breathes they came out rough and jaded as though they were forced. As though my body was functioning forcibly.

Closing my eyes, I offer my prayers to God. I pray for her well being. I pray that I have enough strength to save her. I pray that everything should be alright. And that everything included my mom too, because how can he do this to me. How God can take my mom and my Aunt Jane too, the only people I love the most.

No I'm not letting her go.

Just as the elevator opens on the sixth floor, I instantly get devastated by the sight infront of me.

Uncle Rogers. The same uncle Rogers who is a retired hockey coach. Who'd go to golf tournaments every Sunday with his friends for fun. Who'd host parties in our backyard for fun. Who'd look as fit as a person could be, last time I saw him.

But he didn't look like the same uncle Rogers.

The lean figure sitting on the waiting bench in the entry of the ICU, with his head resting in his hands. Didn't look like him at the very least. He'd lost so much weight almost like he forgot eating on a daily basis. His dirty blonde hair turned into silver white. His energetic confidence has long gone somewhere. Somewhere very distant that couldn't be reached.

"Uncle Rogers."

He looks up, his eyes blood-shot red like mine from the all continuous crying we'd done in the past hour.

To my utter surprise something like relief passes through his face as he runs to me and hugs me tightly.

Yes, he is hugging me. In all these years of living together he'd never once acknowledged my presence. And even if he did, it was to tell me to leave his house and that I didn't deserve aunt Jane's hospitality.