26. Insane

Isabella's POV

Consternation.

A feeling of anxiety or dismay, typically at something unexpected.

So yes, that's exactly what I see on his gorgeous face as he ever so slowly shifts his inevitable attention from me to Mrs. Stevens on the doorway.

I can't see his face when he says, "What? What do you mean Mrs. Stevens? I mean what are you talking about?..I don't understand."

That was him?

He. Who gives speeches infront of some of the most renowned people around the world. Who speaks like he owns this entire world. Who never stammers. Ever.

But then he is, right now.

"I'm sorry Mr. Hunter. I'm telling the truth. I was the one who stole the contract files from your house. I-It wasn't Isabella, Mr. Hunter'' She admits looking down at the ground. Embarrassed. Ashamed even.

''Why didn't you inform me yesterday?'' He questions. His tone respectful, unlike the one he used for me. And for some unknown reason I'm content that he doesn't. It's almost like he is concerned about it. That he is really worried that she didn't inform him yesterday.

"I'm sorry..I was scared I couldn't even bring myself to look you in the eye. And just a few minutes when I saw Isabella I thought that she'd break the news to you herself, because she sure saw me back at the party. But she didn't."

By the time she completes her last words, she was downright sobbing and I instantly reach for her hand. Her shaking hand which I safeguard between my two hands.

"Mam don't cry. I know you. I know you'd never do anything to ruin this company. Since the very day I joined here I've seen you giving your everything to this company with your heart and soul..if anything you inspire me. You inspire me to become like you."

His stare is a curse. A curse of awareness. A curse that I can't break free of. But I refuse to look at him.

She shakes her head, still crying. "No I don't deserve it Isabella. I don't deserve your kindness. You should hate me. I am a bad person. Because if I were a good person, then I would've stopped Mr. Hunter when he accused you for the first time yesterday. And I wanted to Isabella. I really wanted to stop it. But then I couldn't. I just watched as he kept blaming you."

"It's not your fault mam. I understand that whatever you did was against your will."

He takes this particular moment to interrupt Mrs. Stevens and I, making us both turn our attention back to him.

''Mrs. Stevens who was it? who made you do this?''

''Sterling." She whispers.

That's when everything starts making sense to me. Sterling Andrews from the party, he is our company's rivalry so henceforth all the uncomfortable tension and the burning glares.

"H-He I-I shouldn't have..-" she starts hyperventilating which immediately makes him and I exchange a panicked glance, before I was hauling her towards the giant leather sofa in the corner.

And to utter astonishment he follows us with a glass of water that offers to her as soon as she starts breathing normally.

"You need it." He insists.

Despite the fact that, that authoritative voice could've been ignored at moment which I bet he wanted to by the way. It was such a caring thing to do.

It melts my heart.