♠Chapter 6♠

"What are you guys doing this weekend?" Sean said as we're packing up all our mess. It was almost seven and the sun was just setting, casting an influx of yellow, orange, and pink clouds across the sky.

The streetlights in the park were already on and more people were coming out in groups. The worst thing about the evening is the fact that I didn't bring my camera.

"It's Friday night and I'm up for a home trip."

Nate and I looked at each other then back at him.

"You know damn well you just want to go to Lehigh to see Carlos."

I chuckled when Sean replied, "Okay, so do you wanna come or not?"

Nate shook his head with a grin. "You gonna wait for me to grab some stuff?"

Sean fist-pumped and hopped up, doing a weird victory dance.

"Okay, happy guy, let's clean up so we can leave earlier," I said, gesturing to the barely contained mess.

Nate lived on the sixth floor of his dorm building, a huge ancient thing that was a mix between red brick and cement. It's probably been here for fifty years but it looked far from falling apart.

Sean and I had to leave our IDs at the front desk because we wanted to be nosey and follow Nate all the way up to his room. There were people everywhere. I even saw a crowd in a lounge we passed playing some kind of dancing game.

"This place is..." Sean trailed off.

There was a small group of guys walking down the dim-lit hall in our direction. One, I noticed, was staring right at Sean who gave a thin, awkward smile. I snorted and he pushed me into the wall, making me laugh louder.

I nudged him and threw my arm around his shoulder, pulling him into my side.

"You whore," Nate teased.

"Fuck off."

I choked on my laugh, waiting until we passed the group before I grinned. "Pulling all the males."

He sighed and decided to ignore our teasing which didn't end until we got to the room. Before any of us could even do anything, he said, "Don't even think about getting on my bed."

"You're so rich," Sean said, pulling out Nate's chair at his desk instead and plopping down on it. "You and Jules. You know how expensive single rooms are."

This was the conversation while Nate grabbed a small duffel bag and stuffed clothes and toiletries in it. I leaned against the wall and listened to them while staring out the large window that's right next to his desk.

I admired the campus buildings, skyscrapers, narrow roads and people walking back and forth across the green lawn. I didn't know what I was looking at—everything and nothing. Then it all blurred together.

"What if I actually lived with you," she said, her voice small—just a whisper above our breaths. "You know when—if... I get into Parsons?"

She was laying on her side, her face just above mine, her head propped up on her hand. The sun shone around her, making her look like some sun goddess that glowed with golden light.

It wasn't the sun that warmed me, it was her. Her bare leg rubbed against mine and the side of her body pressed into my own—anchoring me deep in the mattress the way I loved.

I smiled. "What if you did?" I reached up and pushed her braids over her shoulder to brush my knuckles along her jaw, down the side of her neck.