♤Chapter 11♤

When school ended and I got off the bus at my usual stop, I had my phone out directing me somewhere other than my home.

  We were doing our study sem things when I was reminded by Darwin and Jared that I needed sixty hours of community service to graduate. So we spent the rest of that time looking for things me and Darwin would be interested in doing because Jared already completed his over the summer, as a responsible high school senior should.

  While we did our research, I said no to damn near everything because no to labor. The guys were up to here with my shit by the end of the period, but thankfully we came across something interesting; a cute little plant shop close to where I live. Darwin had decided to check out a dog grooming place close to where he lived.

  I didn't get on the bus immediately after school let out, that was a lie, Darwin and I stopped by the office where they deal with community service stuff. A lady was there so we asked her if it was okay for us to do what we chose and she said yes. So we promised each other to check them out immediately when we each got home today. Or, him on his way because he drives which is nice.

  The shop wasn't far from where I lived, a half an hour walk max (which I didn't mind). It's really not that far and I could use the exercise these days. It was a cute little shop, nestled between a chain of buildings. I could've easily missed it if I wasn't paying attention.

  There was green everywhere. I might as well have been standing in the middle of the forest. I felt like I was transported to another world or something. There were plants on the walls on shelves or just hanging—hanging everywhere. There were tall ones, short ones, ones with flowers and others without. There were actually a few trees too. Some of them had gigantic leaves that I had to stop myself from reaching out to touch.

  A long table ran down the center of the shop, covered in plants, a bunch of them were touching the ceiling and drooping over each other. There was a narrow walkway on either side of the table and I peered down the one on my right to see the counter at the back of the shop.

  A guy was sitting there and he might have felt me looking because he looked up from whatever book he was reading and smiled.

  "Can I help you?" he said, loud enough for me to hear.

  I'd seen him before. I knew exactly where I'd seen him before.

  "Uhhh," I glanced around the shop and let my fingers brush against some large leaves that stuck out into the pathway (I couldn't help it), "I was wondering if there's any chance of me volunteering here?"

  He eyed me in understanding. "I see. Community service?"

  "Yeah," I said with a smile. Yeah, he gets me.

  I definitely remember him. I didn't remember his name but he used to go to Davenport and I knew him and Thion knew each other. Didn't know how close they were but they talked to each other regularly.

  He bit the inside of his jaw, looking around the store as he hummed to himself in thought.

  "I don't know anything about plants though," I told him with a laugh, "if that's like- a requirement or something."

  He shook his head. A crooked grin plastered on his face. "Anyone can take care of plants with the right mentor."

  He was so cute it was sickening. He was a curly blond, creamy complexion, hazel eyes, dimples- it was a good thing we didn't know each other because he was dangerous. I held it together though.

  "If you say so." I shrugged. I didn't know if what he said meant I was getting the position or not but my hopes were getting higher.

  He smacked his hands on the wooden top of the counter lightly as he got up. "Tell you what," he grabbed a notepad and pen from the far side of the counter and slid it across the surface toward me, "the owners aren't in today, but how about you write down your name and number, or email, and I'll let you know what they say."