♠Chapter 45♠

****Trigger Warning for Sexual Harassment****

This was a long hard chapter. Take breaks if needed.

CHRIS

It's been a year since my mother started dating Renard. Well, a little over a year if my math was right, but yeah. A year wasn't that long but it felt like it when so much happened in that period.

To celebrate, the couple planned a barbecue at Mom's house on Saturday afternoon. Most of my friends came, some of their parents, Zan, our neighbors, and some of Renard's family. I'd never met the latter before and had forgotten what the direct relation was between Renard and half of them, but they seemed fun.

I've been helping my mom cook, set up, and bring tray after tray to the backyard, so I hadn't had much time to talk to a lot of people. Plus, I kinda wanted to show off my cooking skill a little bit. I'd been doing it more these days—back in New York—to give myself something to do and get my mind off certain things. I planned to make it a hobby since I wasn't staying home for much longer.

I had a job lined up for the rest of the summer that started next week. I only had a couple more days here and planned to make them count. Nate had come down with me and planned on leaving with me too. He'd been staying with us and went home a few times to hang out with his folks. They still weren't perfect but he said they were working on things being less awkward.

So until our days ran out and it was time to head back into the city, I was home to spend time with my mom and be a pain in the ass by constantly asking Renard if he even owned a place anymore. A part of me already suspected he'd already moved in but I wasn't interested in being too sure of that detail yet.

"Christian, go sit down," Mom said, pushing me toward the lawn after I sat down a container of mashed potatoes on the large picnic table designated for refreshments.

I did a double take, lifting my elbow out of her hold. "Um, I'm helping."

"No need to get sassy," she retorted, placing her hands on her hips. "You've been helping all evening. Renard and I've got it." She didn't give me time to protest, grabbing my arm and urging me in the direction of my friends. "Christian, please."

Frowning, I reached behind me to untie my apron. "Fine."

She took it from me and held my hand with her free one. "I do appreciate your help," she said softly. The fact that it made me feel better was the only indication that her running me off bothered me. Only a little bit. She leaned up to kiss my cheek. "Thank you."

My frown already eased up, making room for something lighter. "Sure."

It was still something to get used to—her not needing me. Not that she did for much before, but things like this used to be our thing. Now it was her and Renard. I constantly had to remind myself that it wasn't the same.

Everyone who's my age or around it sat in the same spot; at the farthest edge of the lawn, close to the wire fence bordering the yard. Most of the guys were camped out on the ground while the ladies sat at one of the many picnic tables my mother bought over the years. She'd always loved get-togethers like this.

"The host is finally joining us?" Carlos teased.

I took the empty space next to Jess at the picnic table, folding my arms on the surface.

"Why do you look like that?" Julia asked between chews from where she sat across from me.

I glanced down at myself, then back up at her. "Like what?"