♠Chapter 48♠

I lost like three different versions of this chapter when I started writing it because of syncing issues. I get frustrated and give up a lot y'all but I finally finished it.

I didn't get to update last Thursday like I wanted to but I'm somewhat happy with this one. Didn't have time to make it longer, so decided to extend this Part by a few more chapters. 

Happy Black History Month!

CHRIS

Ariana's been acting weird since we got back to the house. Not a bad kind of weird, but she acted the same way when we waited for food at BJ's. I'd turned around and there she was—so close to me that if I hadn't knocked into her, I wouldn't believe it.

Now, under the bright canary lights of her kitchen, I couldn't dismiss it as a figment of my imagination because not only did I see her clinging to my side, I felt her this time without the threat of an accident. That was, until I lifted my arm for the third time as I unpacked our dinner, and my elbow almost caught her jaw.

I glanced to my left, over the bar counter, at the three adults sitting around the dining table. They hadn't moved since we left. It sounded like they'd switched the legal talk for something more lighthearted. Which was work in their definition. And the kitten that my mother's been cuddling since we came back and Tyla turned the place into his personal playground.

Ari stood to my right, I wouldn't be surprised if she was using my body to hide, and that's exactly what I thought she was doing. I pursed my lips to hide my amusement. She was honestly the most adorable thing, but I understood why she reacted this way. After our talk in the car, it made sense.

Without looking, I dipped my head to whisper, "Feeling a bit embarrassed, aren't you?"

The second it took for my words to register, she let out a faint sound between an exasperated and irritated sigh. Her hand brushed against my side in what I assumed was supposed to be a scolding gesture. Her fingers curled around the fabric of my shirt and stayed there. She was so close, the swell of her breast pressed against my arm, I wasn't even sure she noticed. It should've made things awkward, but all I could think was 'she's comfortable with me'. She looked to me for comfort in a hard situation. Something about that made me feel... I'm not sure, but it wasn't a bad feeling.

Angling my body toward her, I rested a hand over her fist and slid my other arm around her shoulders. Ariana's body went so stiff, that even my muscles ached. She whispered something furiously that I couldn't make out. It might've been somewhere along the 'what the hell are you doing?' or 'are you crazy?' variety. I brought my other arm around her back.

Her hand pressed against my chest between us, but she didn't fight me. Her balled hand relaxed to a palm on my side. I'd think she'd want to hug me back but that embarrassment was stronger than I thought.

The familiar sound of a throat clearing broke the silence. My eyes went to the ceiling. "Emotional support, Mom," I said loud enough that I didn't have to turn around. I expected Latoya to say something—maybe threaten me—after my mother didn't, but there was nothing. I held Ari until the tension drained out of her.

"Hugging should be our thing now," I said after a minute of complete silence, still not letting up. She smelled like sunshine and nature. Not literally, but it was the closest I could get to describing it. A sweet earthy smell, with peppermint and hints of other scents I couldn't pinpoint.

Ariana sighed, tilting her face into my chest and inhaling deeply. She held her breath for a few seconds then let it out. This happened a few more times.