twenty-three

** empire state of mind, alicia keys

new york city.

you had never seen such horror, nor such beauty. there were smells you never wanted to encounter again, and there were some you never wanted to forget. there were so many lavish people roaming streets practically rubbing their luxury in the faces of the homeless. some people held signs:

god save me, but don't drown me out

women's rights are human rights

protect what you love..

people voiced for thousands of things that they love, but of course there's always people who have the ignorance in believing people don't deserve what they're fighting for.

you start nodding off once more in the backseat of the black suv as you role up your window. "well then who the fook is going to do the shoot?" dom had been on the phone with this photographer for his new video promo. the model who was supposed to do it backed out from pure anxiety; it was supposed to be her first shoot. a few moments of silence go by as dom grew more and more impatient.

"i'll fookin' call you back, let me talk with her." he gently taps your shoulder, "y/n, love, you tired?" you nod, half conscious, "i can't believe i'm in new york city right now."
his lips press themselves gently against your cheek, "i can't believe you're here with me in new york city."

you briefly stare at the skyscrapers as you pass them by, amazed at their height and stature. it's so crazy that something so tall could stand for so long, made of some of the strongest materials known to man, but anything could happen and that's all it could take before it came crumbling down. skyscrapers were a lot like people, you thought, so grand and put together, but beneath every detail, every floor, every beam, every bolt, under everything that makes it what it is...they're frail and very fragile.

"i can't wait to see what this looks like at night," you tell him, sounding breathless from the sight. "soon enough," he kisses the top of your head. "s'everything okay?"
he explained that there was no way of getting the girl to do the shoot because "punksy vibes aren't for her" and dom seemed too intense. you could see him grow more angry by the minute as he kept talking; you gently grab his hand letting it rest in yours. "...tom wants me to ask you if you'd do it but i don't think it's the best idea, love."

part of you was thrilled that he asked you, but at the same time, you couldn't chance too much of you being out there because of the group he works with. "you can tell them it's just for the p.r. stunt...it's more believable for me to get involved with the work."

"but if i risk it and they hurt you, i don't know what i'll do love."

you pondered in thought for a minute...

"why does it even matter if you're with me anyway? like as long as they think i know nothing, you'd be fine, right? isn't that like...part of the rules or something?"

"this one's much much different, y/n. you play in their fire, you're burned for the rest of your life. nothing but constant reminders of why they stick with you until you piss them off enough to kill you, or until you just fookin' die on your own. my and colson's lives became an eternity of debt to them the day i walked in that door and saved him, but i'm a sick prick from the way i enjoyed it so much."

you sat right in that boat with him. you felt sick from the pleasures of knowing you'd offed abby. the moments replayed in your mind over and over again. you still never knew about how gerald "took care of it," but you honestly didn't even truly know if you could trust him like the others did...you hadn't even met him.

"we'll talk about it when we get to the room," you tell him.

..

..