Chapter Thirteen

I take a step back looking at the pearls beading outlining the top of the dress. I tilt my head to the side then to the other side unsure if I like it or not, "Nope I hate it," I sigh taking off the pearls. I stare at the dress trying to figure out what to do with it. I don't want it to be looking so plan I want it to stand out from the crowd, but I don't know what. Maybe some sequins I don't know. It's playing with my mind I can't figure out what this dress needs.

I throw the pearls in the draw and swoop up my phone into my hand checking for any messages or missed calls from the past three hours I've had my head buried in work. A smile graces my face seeing Landon's name pops up on my screen. I also see a message from my dad and Kayla. A sick feeling washes over me seeing her name on my screen she hasn't talked to me since I moved to America. I decide to ignore the message and I'll reply later to her instead I click on Landon's message.

Hey, can you do me a favor?

I raise my eyebrows at his messages.

Depends on what this favor is.

I need you to bring my flash drive to me, I must have dropped it at yours last night and I need it for my client.

Your flash drive?

I look over to my bedroom door. His flash drive.

Yes, my drive for my client that has my client information on it only.

Right yeah, of course, send me the location and I'll be there soon.

Of course, it wouldn't be the flash drive with all the information on Kayla. I walk into my room and start looking around for his flash drive. After ten minutes of looking, I finally found it wedged in between the cushion of my chair in the room. I look down at my attire and nearly gag out how awful I look. I quickly pull out a short plaque skirt and plain white button-up dress shirt. I quickly change into them and spray myself in my perfume and give my hair a quick dry shampoo. I apply some mascara before grabbing my purse, keys, and flash drive before locking my front door and making my way down the stairs.

I put the directions into my phone to see it's a fifteen walk from my apartment to the law firm. I look around as I walk around a new part of New York taking in how high the buildings are and how close together they are pressed together. If one building goes down all the building around it goes down as well. Full-on dominos with buildings. I giggle to myself as the buzzer goes off and a rush of crowd comes towards me. My legs take me towards the crowd as people start mixing together bodies pushing against each other with a few forbidden words being thrown around.

Ten minutes later I arrive at my destination according to maps. I look up at the big glass building it looks the exact same as the other building next to it but what did I expect. I walk in taking in how white and pure the firm is. It's the complete opposite of how Landon's style is. I pull over to the side quickly and fix up my hair before heading for the front desk, "Good morning," I greet the young lady at the front desk.

"Morning, how may I help you today?" she asks batting her eyelashes at me.

"I'm here to give something to Landon Heart," I state.

"Do you have an appointment?" she asks typing away on her keyboard.

"No, I don't he asked me to drop him off his flash drive," I lean my weight on my right foot and cross my arms over my chest.

The lady looks up at me and pushes her hair off her shoulders, "Sorry Miss but I can't let you through without an appointment Mr. Heart is a very busy man," she clasps her hands together.