Chapter Thirty-Two

Work is a girl's best friend. It's no longer those pathetic diamonds a man can give a girl. Apparently, they're meant to make her happy and secure a man a slave for life.

Someone who will hold their kids. Someone who will take time off of their passion their work to look after the kids. Why can't men take time off and look after the baby? Why must it be a woman?

I take a step back at my latest work. It's beautiful. It screams power.

A young lady came in the other day asking for something that screams woman and power. And this suit screams it.

She's trying to prove a point to her sister who got caught in the housewives lifestyle. She's trying to show her women can be the boss.

A knock at the door pulls my attention away as Stacy's head pecks through, "Hi Charlie-Rose, I'm just letting you know Miss Dunkins is here for her fitting," I smile and nod.

"Perfect timing let her in," Stacy steps out of the way letting Miss Dunkins enter in all her glory.

"Evening Charlie-Rose," she pulls me in for a hug.

"Good evening, Gloria," I kiss both of her cheeks, "How are you this evening?" I ask taking a seat at my desk.

"Good and it's even better now that I've seen my latest suit. My god it's amazing and sexy," she tugs at the lace sticking out, "And this is a perfect shade of red," she runs her fingers along the fabric, "And it's so soft god," she groans satisfied with the finished product.

"Think by far one of my best pieces," she nods, "You can go try it on so we can see if I need to adjust anything," Gloria takes the suit of the manikin.

"I know it won't need adjusting but I need to see it on me now," she dashes off the bathroom.

Clothes make me happy. Clothes make me feel sexy. Clothes make a statement.

God to just think a few decades ago women were made to stay a virgin till marriage while men could run off and fuck any woman of the lower-class, they pleased.

••••••

I feel better being at work. I feel normal like back when I was a kid before my life went crazy... before I went crazy. The antidepressants are working. I don't know for how long though. This could just be my body adjusting to the new medication. We all know in my life peace doesn't last for long.

I push my door open to my apartment seeing it dark. I flick the light on letting the room burst with life. I haven't thought about him in a bit. Two days to be exact was the last time I cried over him. It's been three weeks and I've stopped checking every news article about him I've stopped watching the news. I'll only watch the news when my name is mentioned then turn it off once it's over.

I gave his clothes to Christopher to return to him so he can give them to his next bitch. I'm feeling better. I do still love him I mean I can't just turn it off of course I still love him, and it still burns as hell thinking about him, but at least I'm doing better. I'm eating I run every morning. My hair is shiny my skin is glowing. The joys of a breakup, the glow up.

My stomach still twists and turns when my mind skims over the fact, he still holds the flash drive. I'm waiting to see if he plays the card.

I mean he hasn't, yet it's almost been a month. Maybe not calling me wasn't the only thing he listen to. I plop my body down on the couch letting out a sigh.