Chapter Nineteen

Six months of living in New York and six months of making excuses to see Landon less and less to the point where he would show up at work frustrated that I've been super busy, then he became busy at work, so we haven't seen each other in almost three weeks. Which makes my heart ache at how less I'm seeing him, but my mind knows I need to stay away and put distance between us so my feelings for him can die down.

Today I suggested instead of sitting in the office for our appointment we go out for some late lunch instead just to change the scenery a bit.

"Okay, so where are we going?" Asher asks walking beside me.

"Well, you know how I'm Australian," I look up at him and he nods to continue, "I want to try some of your fast-food restaurants," I give him a toothy smile.

He lets out a small chuckle as we turn the corner coming up to Chick-fil-A, "Oh so you chose the basic first good choice," he slings his arm over my shoulder giving me a squeeze.

My chest vibrates with laughter as we join the crowd in crossing the road. To Chick-fil-A.

I rest my head against Asher as we continue to walk through the parking lot growing closer to the restaurant. I step inside first getting hit with the smell of fried chicken and chips. My skin instantly felt greasy from the oily air causing my nose to scrunch up.

"God, I remember why I don't like fast-food places," I dig through my bag and pull out my hair clip quickly whipping my hair up in the banana clip. A deep chuckle graces my ears before it turns into hysterical laughter. I turn around to Asher giving him my mom glare, "Excuse you," I lean my weight on my right foot crossing my arms over my chest.

"Your excuse," he pretends to wipe a fake tear from his eye.

I scoff turning on my heel and waltz up to the counter to place our orders. I order whatever Asher orders having no clue what to order.

We grab our food and I quickly dash out finally getting to breathe in some fresh clean air, "Okay so where are we going to eat?" I ask as he comes out of the door.

"There's a park down the road we can go seat there and eat," he offers, and I happily nod.

I follow behind him as we walk down the street. It's not busy on this side of New York which makes sense why the Therapist's office is on the quieter side of New York.

He turns continuing to walk off gaining further in front while I prance behind taking in the new surroundings, "Charlie-Rose come on catch up," he stops a few feet up ahead waiting for my slow ass to catch up.

"Sorry," I mumble and speed walk up to him.

••••••

We sit in the park talking about Harley. Yes, he knows about her a lot of people do. I mean it broke the news worldwide when she got murdered. He knows how cruel she was. How she treated us and how there can be a motive. I've told him that I see her. I get these flashbacks of the past when I'm in a familiar setting of something that happened. I mention the nightmares that I have however he doesn't know what actually happened that night because he is under the impression that Kayla and I only found the house in that horrible state it was in.

"That's horrible Charlie-Rose," I wince at his pity. I hate when people give me those sad eyes like I'm a fragile doll about to break if they say the wrong thing.

My chest raises causing my lungs to fill with air before my chest lowers causing the air to be released from my lungs, "Don't look at me like that Asher please it's the last thing I want you to look at me like," I scrunch up the bag in my hand.