12. Healing Power of Music

"Mommy!" the twins cried.

Diego glanced down at his wife as he ran into the mansion. "Hang in there, baby. We're almost there."

"Gramma Grace!" the twins yelled.

Grace walked up to the family. "Oh my goodness. What happened?"

Tears stung Diego's eyes as he whispered, "H-help her p-please."

Grace nodded and led Diego to the makeshift medical room.

Diego laid his wife on the gurney and glanced at his twins. "Liam, Layla, stay here. Your grandmother and Pogo will help Mommy. She'll be okay."

---

Diego rushed into the boxing club, down to his room, still covered in Guinevere's blood. He figured Five and Luther were still there, and sure enough, they were.

"Piece of shit," Diego muttered, stalking towards the bed where Five was seated.

Before he could do anything, he was stopped by Luther.

"Do you have any idea what you just did?!" Diego asked angrily as Luther grabbed him and picked him up. "No! Get your ape hands off of me!"

"I can do this as long as it takes you to calm down," Luther said.

Diego let out an angry huff. "Fine."

Luther released him and asked, "Now; wanna tell us what you're talking about?"

Diego glared at Five. "Our brother's been pretty busy since he got back. He was in the middle of the shootout at Griddy's, then at Gimble Brothers after the masks attacked the academy looking for him."

"None of which is your concern," Five retorted.

"It is now. They killed a friend of mine and almost killed my wife, the mother of my children."

"Who are they, Five?" Luther questioned.

Diego aggressively urged Five to continue and he said, "They work for my former employer. A woman called The Handler. She sent them to stop me. Then, as soon as Diego's friend and his wife got in the way, well, fair game."

Diego's eyes narrowed. "Yeah, well, don't start singing just yet. My friend died and my wife was almost killed! Gwen is not fair game, and neither was my friend!"

Five's eyes widened, instantly feeling awful. "Guinevere. Is she okay?"

"She's at the house. She lost a lot of blood, so I honestly don't know. And now those two assassins are my fair game. And I'm gonna see to it they pay."

"That would be a mistake, Diego. They've killed people far more dangerous than you."

"Yeah, we'll see about that." He slammed the door behind him.

Five looked down, ashamed.

---

Back at the academy, Guinevere focused on the faint music she heard and groggily woke. She slowly brought a hand to her shoulder, instantly wincing at the pain.

Grace smiled. "Hello, Guinevere. How are you feeling?"

"Not great. Has Diego been here? Or Five? Where's my husband?"

"Diego was here a little while ago, but ran off. I haven't seen Five."

"Are Liam and Layla here?"

Grace nodded and left the room, returning with the twins.

"Mommy!" Liam and Layla cried. "You're okay!"

Guinevere hugged her twins tightly. "I'm okay, my loves. I'm not going anywhere."