12. An Innocent Victim

INT. CHESTNUT HOME

Keys clinked as Ray set them down and he sighed.

"Raymond, you clearly have something to say, so why don't you just go ahead and say it?" Allison told him after she'd closed the door.

Ray faced her. "Did you use it on me?"

"Ray, of course not."

"But if you had, would I even know?" Allison sighed softly and he noticed a letter. "Where did that come from?"

Allison picked it up and opened it; the very same invitation Diego and Luther had received.

"What is it?" Ray asked.

"Uh..." Allison whispered.

EXT. HOUSE

Klaus and Dave walked outside.

"So how did you find me?" Klaus questioned. "Hmm?"

"I found this pamphlet with your face on it," Dave explained.

Klaus chuckled. "Oh, no. Well, I'm glad you came."

"Hey, listen, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the other day."

"Pfft. Don't worry about it. It's good for the ego to take a punch every now and again, I say."

"Yeah, but still, that's not the kinda guy I am." He took off his lei.

"I know. I know." he chuckled softly as birds twittered.

"Hey, the other day you said a bunch of stuff about the war and my uncle."

"Uh-huh."

"How did you know all that stuff?"

"Oh, that's easy. I'm a prophet."

"Yeah, right."

"It's all right there in the pamphlet." He pointed to the pamphlet Dave was holding.

"Prophet," a woman called.

"Yeah, but, I mean, no disrespect, but this stuff isn't real," Dave said.

"Prophet."

"Oh," Klaus noted. "Okay, well then how come I know everything about you?"

"Yeah, like what?" Dave asked.

Klaus sighed. "Like... I know your favorite food is a plain hamburger with two pickles." He snapped his fingers.

"Everybody likes a hamburger."

He continued walking. "Oh, come on. Your favorite song is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

"Who told you that?"

"And your favorite book of all time is Dune."

"Ha. Wrong. I've never even heard of Dune."

"Mmm! You will! And you'll love it, trust me. And you're welcome, by the way." A bottle clinked as Klaus threw it away before sighing.

"What else?"

Klaus stopped at the pool and turned. "What else, what else, what else... I know that sometimes you feel like an outsider in your own family. You hope that being a soldier will prove something to them and prove something to yourself. And I'm here to tell you, Dave, that that's not gonna work and you're gonna end up wishing that you didn't."

"You have no idea what the hell you're talking about."

"Mmm."

"I'm joining the military because it's the right... 'Cause it's the right thing to do." His voice broke. "Don't even know why I came here." He started walking away.