02. "Finding" Them All

INT. FARMHOUSE

A woman entered. "Hey, I'm back." Vanya smiled at the woman. "Did you and Vanya have fun today, Harlan?"

"We did," Vanya reeled as a dog began barking outside. "We went down to visit the horses, and we read James and the Giant Peach."

Harlan stood and went to the window as a rooster crowed outside.

"Any episodes?"

"No, ma'am."

"How about you?" She sighed. "How are you feeling?"

Vanya stood. "Oh, my headaches are good, but still no memories."

"Well then, we just need to get busy making you some new ones, hmm?" She turned and walked away.

The speaker on a record player cracked softly and Fran Powers Trying began playing.

Four people gathered around a kitchen table and a man said, "I tell ya, Vanya, I almost got the son of a bitch."

"Carl, watch your language around Harlan," his wife warned.

"Are you kidding, honey? If that boy says "son of a bitch." I will buy him a BB gun. Hell, he says any damn thing, everybody gets a Cadillac." He chuckled. "See, the thing about sales that people don't get is the grit. They think you just show up, smile real wide, and boom, it's done."

"Is that what people think, Carl?" Vanya questioned.

"Yes, it is. But they don't get the art and science of the thing." Carl's wife stood and took some dishes. "It takes skills to get to that boom."

"Ah! Oh, it's the boom. Mmm."

"Yeah! The boom! You get any calls yet? I put another missing persons ad in the paper." Carl's wife returned to the table and as she picked up more dishes, she subtly shook her head. "Figure someone must be searching for ya."

"Maybe I'm just not the kind of girl you miss."

"I doubt that very much," Carl's wife told her. "I'm sure we'd miss you already." She turned on the water and began washing dishes.

"Well..." Carl cleared his throat, stood, and entered the kitchen.

"And where do you think you're going?"

"The office." He put on his jacket. "I said I almost got 'em. I don't got 'em just yet."

"What time will you be home?"

"I don't know." Vanya looked at Harlan. "Depends how hard I worked to provide you with this wonderful life."

"Fine. Just be quiet when you get back in. I don't want you to wake the boy."

"See you in the morning." He picked up his keys and dishes clinked softly. "Night, Vanya."

"Night, Carl," Vanya replied.

Carl opened the door. "Night, Harlan." The door closed.

The faucet ran and dishes clinked.

EXT. ROAD

An old beat-up car drove down the road and stopped as the engine smoked. Klaus, Ben and Guinevere got out.

"Now what?" Klaus wondered.

"Remember when Gwen and I told you the engine was overheating?" Ben asked.

"Yeah, well, being smart doesn't make you interesting."

"Neither does your beard. You know, it would help if Gwen and I knew where we were going, Mysterio."

Guinevere narrowed her eyes. "I just want to get back to my husband and twins."