14. Fights and Making Up

Wednesday, 8:15 a.m.

Guinevere arrived at the house with Liam and Layla, just in time to see Allison stalking away.

Leonard smiled, seeing Guinevere and her little family. "Hi. I don't think we've met. I'm Vanya's boyfriend Leonard." He studied Guinevere. "Were you were part of that Umbrella thing? I recognize you from somewhere."

Layla giggled. "Mommy sings and dances in front of a lot of people."

Liam nodded. "She's really, really good."

Guinevere shook her head slowly. "They're right. I'm a Broadway actress. And no, I was never part of the Umbrella Academy."

"Yeah. I'm sure that's nice. How old are your kids?"

"Four!" the twins exclaimed.

Guinevere knelt to her twins' level. "Go find Daddy, you two. I need to talk to Aunt Vanya."

Vanya glanced at Leonard. "Excuse me."

Leonard nodded and Vanya followed Guinevere to another part of the room.

"What is it, Gwen?"

"Well, I'm sure you remember those two psychos who attacked the academy."

"Of course I remember them. Why? What'd they do?"

"They took Klaus and me and the woman, Cha-Cha, shot me and killed Diego's cop friend.I nearly died."

Vanya hugged her sister-in-law and asked, "Are you okay?"

Guinevere nodded. "Yes. But I had to use my power to help. I don't like using my power if I can help it. How'd you meet Leonard?"

"He came by for a music lesson. Are you sure you're okay, Gwen?"

"Like I told you, I'm fine. Vanya, be careful around him. There's something off. I'm not sure what exactly, but he seems like he's hiding something."

Vanya pursed her lips. "He's a good man. First Allison and now you. You're not even related to us! You're only family because you married my brother. You don't know what's best for me, so don't try to tell me he's not a good guy."

Guinevere's eyes narrowed slightly. "You're still my family, Vanya, even if I married in. You may not be able to see it, but I do. Please heed my words."

"You're wrong about him. You both are."

Guinevere glanced down. "We'll see. Excuse me."

Guinevere walked away to find Diego and her twins. She walked up the stairs to hear Klaus say the name Dave.

Liam and Layla ran up and hugged their mother. The former looked up at his mother and asked, "Why are you sad, Mommy?"

Guinevere wiped a tear away and said, "Mommy just had an argument with Auntie Vanya. But don't you two worry; it's going to be okay."

"I love you, Mommy," Layla said.

"Me too," Liam added.

Guinevere smiled at her twins. "I love you both, too."

"Uncle Klaus was talking about a man named Dave."

"Dave? Who's that?"

"Someone he met a long, long time ago," Layla replied.

"Where is your Uncle Klaus?"

The twins led their mother to where Klaus was and he glanced up. "Hello, dear. I see the little troublemakers have led you to me."

Guinevere smiled. "That they did. Liam and Layla mentioned someone called Dave. Who is that, Klaus?"

A soft smile crossed his face. "Dave was the love of my life. Until-"

"You don't have to finish. I'm so sorry, Klaus."

He sniffled and nodded slowly. "Thank you." He met her eyes. "Something's troubling you. What happened?"

"I just had an argument with one of your sisters is all."

"Allison or Vanya?"

"Vanya, but no worries. It'll be okay."

The twins began pulling their mother away and she smiled lightly. "It would seem I'm being dragged away. Again, Klaus, I am so sorry about Dave. If you ever want to talk or need a shoulder to cry on, don't hesitate to ask."

Klaus nodded. "Thank you, dear."

"Anytime."

As the twins pulled Guinevere from the room, they ran into Diego who studied his wife and said, "You have the look you always get when we fight but sadder. What happened?"

"Everyone's asking me that," Guinevere muttered.

"Because we're all worried about you. What happened, Gwen?"

Guinevere motioned Diego to follow her and they walked a short distance from their children. She held up a stop motion so the twins wouldn't follow.

After a moment, Guinevere said, "Vanya, in more or less words, told me I wasn't family."

"She what?!"

"Di, please. It doesn't matter."

"Of course it matters, Guinevere! I can see it in your face! The twins can see it. Hell, everyone can see it!"

"Diego, that's enough! Her words hurt, yes, but I won't let them consume me. I know I'm family, regardless of marrying in. Please, promise me you won't fight her on this."

The two shared a tense, silent argument before Diego backed down and nodded. "Okay. But something like this happens again, I'm defending your honor."

A small smile tugged at Guinevere's lips. "I don't plan on letting it happen again, but thank you."

"Anything for you."

He rested his forehead to hers, and she smiled softly.