Past Dreams of Future Present

TW: Mention of toxic relationship behaviors, physical/verbal/emotional abuse, gender role stereotypes, and sex/gender objectification in this chapter.

Artist of Chapter Image: Unknown

Source of Chapter Image: Pinterest

Character Origin of Chapter Image: Anime: Bakemonogatari

Disclaimer: I recognize the image to be art of a character created by someone else. I do not own rights to the artwork, nor do I seek to appropriate it as mine nor of my own mind. I simply include this work as reference for the likeness to my own OC of this story, since I do not currently have the skills to draw them myself nor the means to commission. Thank you :)

"Get up! Do it again!" Hikaru yelled. I got up, my bones aching. The bruises that lined my body seemed to weigh me down, and my head was so heavy. My left eye was swollen shut, blood trickling out of my nose from his previous punch, and I blinked to clear my blurry vision. My black eye throbbed in response, and he narrowed his eyes. He was so much bigger than me; it was like a fly against a bat. I was only ten years old, an orphan, and barely remembered any of my childhood before age nine, when the house mother found me in an alley drenched in foreign blood. I had intentionally forgotten them, and a part of me knew why.

"If you fall this time, we're starting the session over, and we will do it until you immerge victorious. When or if that happens, we're training with the katana until you get that right. Get in a ready stance!" He exclaimed in anger, and I quickly positioned myself out of fear. He threw a jab at my face, followed by a right cross, and I blocked with my forearms back-to-back. He then threw a right hook; I ducked and jabbed him in the ribcage but to no avail. I flipped backwards as he tried to knee me.

"What have I told you about punching people bigger than you?!" He yelled. "Women are weak in the arms, but their legs can be used as power houses! Use them!" He shook from anger as spit flew from his mouth, and veins popped up on his head. His red hair, tied in a ponytail, seemed to stand on end, and my ears screamed in pain as his voice bounced off the mirrors that surrounded us in the room of nightmares. I backed into a mirror as my legs buckled from exhaustion and fear. I saw blood staining all around me from various wounds, and tears began to fall as memories resurfaced of my past.

"Crying?! You coward! Get up! Do I need to beat courage into you?!" He exclaimed. His silver eyes flashed with a dangerous glint as he threw a jab at me, and I was too late to block it as it collided with my already numb stomach. My head hit the checkered floor as I fell into darkness.